• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How do you hook up a....

I like this one best.....wide and narrow switch is pretty cool.(y)

Heil GM Elite Microphone GE-5.1

The broadcast element will sound a little bassier than the #5 element if you have the audio bandwidth but both are made for general rag chewing. Neither will have the bite of the #4 element for DX.

If Robb was correct with his post about the cb bandwidth being ~200 - 2800 Hz then you probably wouldn't be able to tell any difference with the GM Elite when you switch between the two elements.

I like this one best.....wide and narrow switch is pretty cool.(y)

Heil GM Elite Microphone GE-5.1

I have that one and don't like it at all, well, it's ok.
I bought that one when the didn't have the hm12.

A comment on the bandwidth of radios. Even thought they may not
take advantage of the mic ability, the quality of the different studio mics
will still be noticed over hand mics and some differences in studio mics.
The quality of the elements will help.
I can whisper in my Shure SM7B as low as I can and hear every syllable in
the sentence. I can do the same with the stock hand mic and it's not a clear.
Same with my Heil PR781 and the GE-5.1 Even if I narrow my radio down I can still hear the difference.
Money, toys, and play, it's all relevance, right. (y)
Have fun with what ever you try. :D

Which sounds better on the radio.....cardioid mics or dynamic mics....or is there little or no difference?

Which sounds better on the radio.....cardioid mics or dynamic mics....or is there little or no difference?
A cardiod is a polar pattern that resembles a heart shape. "Cardi" is a Greek root word for 'heart'. That is why it is called a cardiod; because the pattern is heart-shaped.

The pattern is to demonstrate just how the mic itself hears.

300px-CardioidCircleEnvelope.svg.png

Notice that its hearing is skewed twards the round side.
Much like a beam antenna works - BTW.

There are other kinds of mic patterns. Such as omni-directional (hears 360 degrees, just like an omni-directional vertical antenna does) and bi-directional (hears in two directions, just like a horizontal dipole does).

A dynamic mic is so-called because it uses a voice coil moving in a magnetic field (just like a very small, yet efficient speaker). A condenser mic uses a thin diaphragm charged with current (acting like a capacitor which is very sensetive to ultra slight changes in current). A ribbon mic uses a moving coil suspended close to a magnet (similar but not the same as a dynamic element does).

A microphone that has a flat, uncolored frequency response will not color the sound. All stock or power CB mics add a lot of color that you just won't hear from a quality mic. "Color" refers to a frequency response that is anything but flat. Odd peaks in a freq response will make for an unnatural sound. Getting a mic with a real natural sound is recommended. Especially condenser mics; this is why they are used so often and prized in the recording industry. A cardiod pattern is the preferred pattern for radio use. You wouldn't want to get ambient sound when transmitting; you only want your voice to be picked up and nothing else.

Last edited:
A cardiod is a polar pattern that resembles a heart shape. "Cardi" is a Greek root word for 'heart'. That is why it is called a cardiod; because the pattern is heart-shaped.

The pattern is to demonstrate just how the mic itself hears.

300px-CardioidCircleEnvelope.svg.png

Notice that it is skewed twards the side that has the round side. Much like a beam antenna works - BTW.

There are other kinds of mic patterns. Such as omni-directional (hears 360 degrees, just like an omni-directional vertical antenna does) and bi-directional (hears in two directions, just like a horizontal dipole does).

A dynamic mic is so-called because it uses a voice coil moving in a magnetic field (just like a very small, yet efficient speaker). A condenser mic uses a thin diaphragm charged with current (acting like a capacitor which is very sensetive to ultra slight changes in current). A ribbon mic uses a moving coil suspended close to a magnet (similar but not the same as a dynamic element does).

Thanks for explaining the differences in the microphones.......the best sounding mics I own now are a Turner +3 and my hammerhead d-104....my strongest best dx mic is my silver eagle........I would luv to have fm broadcast quality audio.....but I guess that is a pipe dream. :laugh:

Thanks for explaining the differences in the microphones.......the best sounding mics I own now are a Turner +3 and my hammerhead d-104....my strongest best dx mic is my silver eagle........I would luv to have fm broadcast quality audio.....but I guess that is a pipe dream. :laugh:
No pipe dream; guys do it all of the time.
I do.

Not that hard to do either, if you bothered to read the entire 5 part article that I wrote . . .

No pipe dream; guys do it all of the time.
I do.

Not that hard to do either, if you bothered to read the entire 5 part article that I wrote . . .

I was thinking of the bandwith of a CB. :)

No I did not read all of it yet....just skimmed over it....been busy trying to figure out what mic to buy.

I have that one and don't like it at all, well, it's ok.
I bought that one when the didn't have the hm12.

A comment on the bandwidth of radios. Even thought they may not
take advantage of the mic ability, the quality of the different studio mics
will still be noticed over hand mics and some differences in studio mics.
The quality of the elements will help.
I can whisper in my Shure SM7B as low as I can and hear every syllable in
the sentence. I can do the same with the stock hand mic and it's not a clear.
Same with my Heil PR781 and the GE-5.1 Even if I narrow my radio down I can still hear the difference.
Money, toys, and play, it's all relevance, right. (y)
Have fun with what ever you try. :D

I bought the Heil HM-12. (y)

Cool! Let us know how it does.
I almost bought one yesterday, but I carried out 756proIII instead. I should've stuck with a mic, it would've been easier to explain. :D

Thanks fellas(y)
Will the behringer 802 mixer do the same thing as the W2IHY EQPLUS?

No, they are the same but not the same. The 802 is what I'm using and it's a basic audio mixer with minmal eq functions.

The W2IHY EQPLUS is a "all in one" audio box made for radio users. It has effects, eq and also performs the same function as the iBox to turn line audio into mic level audio to drive a comminucations radio.

You can get an 802 new for $50 or less..the W2IHY unit is $359.00. BIG difference.

No, they are the same but not the same. The 802 is what I'm using and it's a basic audio mixer with minmal eq functions.

The W2IHY EQPLUS is a "all in one" audio box made for radio users. It has effects, eq and also performs the same function as the iBox to turn line audio into mic level audio to drive a comminucations radio.

You can get an 802 new for $50 or less..the W2IHY unit is $359.00. BIG difference.

Is there any way to make the 802 do the same thing as the EQPLUS ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.