• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How does Motormouth Maul get away with it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Captain Kilowatt – I don’t have a lot of experience with CB radio, that’s for sure. I’ve used one for about 10 years and I don’t do any type of work on them or anything, I just use them to talk to people locally and when I go on road trips. I had one in my truck, but that was mainly to get load information at a shipper.

I don’t use amps or mod my radio at all. It’s a stock, legal radio. I’m not really sure how to take your comment. It’s almost like you are saying that after a while, I’ll get into amps and mods for CB radio, too. I’ve always been of the mindset that if I wanted more power than my little stock Galaxy 959 can dish out then I’d get a HAM license. I know the FCC is being ridiculous about a lot of the 11 meter rules, but I still believe in following those rules or going the HAM operator route.

I feel as soon as I were to mod my CB in the slightest I’d have someone from the FCC outside wanting to check my “station”. Perhaps I think this way because I am new and don’t have much experience with CB’s.

I know a lot of folks around me use small amps to get out a little better in these mountains, but what MMM is doing is on a whole different level.

I got int CB back in the late 70's and was always on SSB and DXing. I eventually got my ham ticket in the 80's and haven't been on CB in over 25 years however I have been around long enough to see the difference in enforcement actions over those years as well as see the amount of nonsense conducted on the airwaves over that time. I meant nothing about my comment other than the fact that you must be relatively new to the hobby if you think that the FCC is completely unaware of what is going on. That as well as the fact that they do not care unless they receive a complaint about egregious interference to other radio services shows that you do not have the experience of those of us that have been around for several decades. That is all. Nothing more.

Yeah, he was actually embarrassed about it, I remember him sayin something to the effect of "I can't brag on my CB audio and be on 10 meters too"

I would be embarrassed too. A lot of CBers just don't care to know the truth about ther $500 pile of junk radio. About 10 years ago I read an article about the old RCI 2950 and 2970 having this issue. Sure enough the 2970 I just bought was throwing a spur on 10 meters and you could hear me crystal clear for miles. I sold it and haven't looked back. I still have some exports but I got rid of most of them. For the most part I use a real CB on 11 meters.

Here's an interesting video for those who haven't saw it.

MMM doesn't run near as much power as you may think...He just has one big-a$$ antenna! 96' long, 70' up, and weighing in at about 600 lb's...
12321229_562507723907543_2969399785860441730_n.jpg

After MMM last beam came down in some high wind he home brewed his new monster. 96ft long...that's right ninety-six foot boom. This is on a crank up tower with a max height of 75 ft. I have no idea what he drives this beast with but yes he TALKS. He is really on a level of his own. There used to be hetrodyne when he keyed up..not to much of that anymore. Now you just hear him. With all that mouth I do give him credit..I don't notice bleed over. Maybe a little adjacent channel descence but not the typical ch6 10 channels up and down bleeding. So I think he does try to keep it clean when he "just gets down"

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1459308325841.jpg
    FB_IMG_1459308325841.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 52
Yeah, he was actually embarrassed about it, I remember him sayin something to the effect of "I can't brag on my CB audio and be on 10 meters too"

I think what he means is he can run his mouth on CB and since he has a amateur call sign, KC6MFX, He can run his mouth on 10 meters too but not at the same time if massive splattering is what you are referring to.

If you look at his webpage, motormouthmaul.com he demonstrates on how to achieve excellent audio or at least he thinks what is good audio along with proper transmit signals.

The few times I bothered to listen to him on the airwaves his audio was distorted and too bassy like an FM broadcast station which could hardly cut through all the noise and commotion going on the band.

Basically the guy is a moron but at least he is a legend in his own mind and to the mindless followers of his on the CB band.

...He can run his mouth on 10 meters too but not at the same time if massive splattering is what you are referring to...

Basically the guy is a moron but at least he is a legend in his own mind and to the mindless followers of his on the CB band.

no, "massive splattering" is not what I'm sayin

He was transmitting on 28.380 A.M. and CB ch 28 (and , as I recall, somewhere in the 25 MHz area) due to his equipment.
it was not due to mixing with another signal. this was his fundamental signal(s). Can you actually have 3 simultaneous "fundamental" signals ?:whistle:

Reactions: NZ8N
When MMM and 4040(silent key) cranked up and talked to each other, it was a show!

My duck station always tried to talk to them. LOL
Kind of kept the hobby going as all other dx was too weak to work for me.

Can you actually have 3 simultaneous "fundamental" signals ?:whistle:

I have only heard 2, but in theory the fundamentals is the harmonic frequencies that fall within the spectrum of a given frequency so I would say it could be possible.

2 meters from 11 meters is close to the 2nd harmonic frequency and that's where CB radios with excessive modulation and dirty amplifiers tend to wind up causing interference just above the 2 meter band.

When MMM and 4040(silent key) cranked up and talked to each other, it was a show!

My duck station always tried to talk to them. LOL
Kind of kept the hobby going as all other dx was too weak to work for me.

If you ever see pictures, MMM is out in a pretty sparse area I believe as well so no neighbors to complain.

I had no idea 4040 passed away, very sad to hear that. He always came in strong to Hawaii and I had been talking to him for years.

Reactions: walterjn
bigK, 4040 passed away on July 14, 2014 after suffering a stroke(s).

life is precious, your here one day and gone the next. i know i was involved in a horrible automobile accident that for all intents and purposes pretty much took my life. how I came out i don't know, but I ramble.

Reactions: AmericanEagle575
Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.