• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOW MUCH IS TO MUCH "POWER" ?

And here I only thought my personal ego was only big enough for about 4 tablets....IM sure I would O.D and pretty much be D.O.A after 16 of them there tabs..and then there were 32 of those nasty booggers .....look, I really don't know so much about EGO and all that happy bull$hit ? but If I personally had that kind of money to spend on that kind of insanity I would certainly hope and pray that I was doing something else rather then that if I had that kind of money to blow in the first place. To each , his or her own.

16 pill install

In the beginning i tried to run everything on the stock alternator of my ford f250. When i keyed my truck would die. So i added another alternator and about 6 batteries for the 16 pill and ran the driver off the truck alternator and put a battery in front of it. It worked for short keys until the batteries would come back up. I upgraded my charging system to three 200 amp alternators. I run them into a battery bank and regulate one of them with a Dave made regulator and i just turn the other two on with some switches and homebrew regulators. I run the driver and big box from the same battery bank with the three alts charging at 16 volts. I am using one predator 10k for a ride around and can setup a keydown system with fighting sticks. My driver is a Magna Force 900 which i swing about 500 watts peak into the Joker 16. At 16 volts this gives me about 2000 watts avg power out or about 4000 Watts peak. swr is 1.2 with amp off and 1.3 with amp on. I have several ground straps all over the body because of stray rf causing feedback and other problems. Oh Yeah 12 ft to the antenna from the last run. Took two years to set up and learn. Check out my web site listed at bottom for pics.

it's all good 34 !! Free is a good thing (-: .......Never really had that much money to play with over the years .....but my own personal power bug came and left somewhere around 1995 or so .....I just figured I had all I would ever need up to this point concerning the power game ...I suppose if I had more then my share of greenbacks to go around I would more so be looking into HD Plasma TV's and Top of the line PC's or even one bad ass stereo system to go along with the Plasma .....ect. ect. ...but then there are folks that can afford it all and just wait around for the next special toy they would like to have .Yeap !! life surely must me grand for some. (-:

16 pil

How much for that 16 pill if youre not going to use it and what kind is it?

CDX8412 said:
-It draws attention to you, especially when you are coming through family & neighbor's TVs & phone lines. It is my opinion that life is better lived without drawing attention to yourself, and doing the things you want to do without bothering others.

agreed....if you live in the city,house next to house for blocks and blocks....you'll be in bad shape if you get a bunch of people ticked at you.....

but, if your shack is in the sticks....where homes are spread out alot farther in distance....maybe just maybe....you could go unnotcied,lol....

C2 said:
I was talking to a friend who just got a ~200W linear, was at his house checkin it out and it was swinging hard right.

When I left, we were talking on the band and he hit the switch and asked how THAT sounded???

I said it bumped up about 2 or 3 S units...But he asked how it sounded??? I said it sounds exactly the same.

He was puzzled about why he was NOT any louder...I said that's the way it is...he said, then why did I buy this thing for?

haha....tell him ya turned the volume up and he got louder,lol

For Myself, I do very well with 4 X 2879`s in the truck, If I can Hear them, I seem to be able to work them. At home, my 3 X 572B`s seems to do the Job fine as well. If I wanted to improve the Base, I would put the money into Antennas, not more watts.
I feel the $ per DB Gain is better at the Antenna once you hit the 500/600 watt level.
YMMV.

Jeff

too much

Well, I went to both ends of the stick and worked back to the middle laser 500 85 feet up x's 60 multiplication and lab amp working 40 amps at 220 volts lets see how does that ohms law work???

Beetle said:
You mean an RF amplifier doesn't amplify audio frequencies too?? Oh, the humanity! :roll:

Sure they do Pat. Just look at Jo Gunn. Look at the AUDIO gain figures for the antennas.They wouldn't lie would they? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I know you were talking about amps but the antennas "amplify" too don't they? :roll:

Sorry it must be the left over eggnog.

As with anything,you can over do it depending on how you look at it.I have capabilities of running anything from a 2-2SC2879 to 16-2SC2879's in the mobile.Just depend's on the circumstances as to which one i run.I have a competition set up chevy suburban.The antenna's i run is a pair of Monkey Made MM-4's.With this antenna system i see less than 5 watt's reflect at 5kw.Now then,i dont see running a ton of watt's just to talk skip.That can be accomplished on a walkie talkie with proper condition's.All my watt's is for competiton on the line.Yeah,it may have a little to do with bragging right's but still it's a hobby to me that i enjoy.Sure,it's costly,but what hobby isnt now day's.
I have recently began to sell off most of my DC mobile amp's.But i'm replacing them with an AC amp in the suburban.Going to try out a pair of 3CX3000A7's.A little more watt's for the money i guess.On the base,i dont run more than 800watts.To the question at hand,how much is too much?Well,i doubt if i can answer that.To each his own.Me personally,i think the pair of 3CX3000A7's in the mobile will be as far as i care to go in competiton or anything else.....Just my opinion....Thank's

Danny

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.