• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HOW MUCH IS TO MUCH "POWER" ?

too much power..

well on am anything more then 4 watts :p
on ssb anything more then 12 watts PEP :twisted:

ahh hell..
really is too much power if you are heard on more then one channel

in reality
mostly all one needs is about 10 watts
i rarly work more then 100 wattts

:lol :lol :lol

i only use about 15w on SSB from a madison base i recently dug out of the closet....just got a a99 on a 10ft pole for now,lol.....i have a scanner and a tv right by the antenna...no interference....
talks decent now and no complaints.....

a guy that use's some type of "yeasu"(or so he says) live's about 2 mi's away from me....he uses it on 11m :roll:.....he absolutelysplatters a good bit of the sensitive recieve on the madison within 100-150khz.........he does sound rather clear for being so close tho....nice guy too....

i mainly just scan fire/ems and law enforcement in the local area.....not planing on using any amplifiers or runnning a
"splatter box set"as some speak of......maybe put up wsome tower and a couple antennas to scan with....

oh,and just 15w = no splat splat,or naughty neighbors....lol

Beetle said:
Happy New Year, Ken! :D

Here's some creative humor writing for you to chuckle over. Note that this is a "Base Sation [sic] Antenna".

Happy New Year to you too Beetle :D

That is one very impressive 18dB directional antenna :LOL:

I can't imagine the forces it must generate on the mast and rotor, and the signal fading, during a wind storm...

to much power

Thats true but, IF you can AFFORD an ANTENNA forty feet long you can AFFORD the best rotor Yeasu DX and trust me at 85 feet and 65 mile winds and better with 1/4 inch aircraft cable and the proper insulators its no problem, but I did humor myself by adding the 10,000 watt gammas just in case?

Re: to much power

Glazierman said:
Thats true but, IF you can AFFORD an ANTENNA forty feet long you can AFFORD the best rotor Yeasu DX and trust me at 85 feet and 65 mile winds and better with 1/4 inch aircraft cable and the proper insulators its no problem, but I did humor myself by adding the 10,000 watt gammas just in case?

damn that's why i allways hear you :)

Got me thinking

Hello 2 all.......So i should just stay with my Texas Star DX 500.I was going 2 get a str8 8 pill X force....Cobra 148 GTL,DX 500 an a Maco V quad.Cant go any bigger on the antenna.! more thing i live at te bottom of a mountain.Not 2 much local talking....Skip talker.....

Just by watching other cb operators transmit, and hearing the response they get from skipland, and watching them increase their power by increments, using DC transistors and not AC tubes, (Talking from a mobile) in my opinion these are the wattage jumps:

4 watts
16 watts
100 watts
400 watts
850 watts
3400 watts, etc.
If you are upgrading to bigger amps, and can't make these wattage jumps, then you are wasting your money :cry: . Propagation will always have the last word :oops: :x :cry: :evil: . Like I said, this is from my experience. If any one else has experimented with wattage jumps, please share your results.
Hello 2 all.......So i should just stay with my Texas Star DX 500.I was going 2 get a str8 8 pill X force....Cobra 148 GTL,DX 500 an a Maco V quad.Cant go any bigger on the antenna.! more thing i live at te bottom of a mountain.Not 2 much local talking....Skip talker.....no complaints from neighbors..............Yet

Hello 2 all.......So i should just stay with my Texas Star DX 500.I was going 2 get a str8 8 pill X force....Cobra 148 GTL,DX 500 an a Maco V quad.Cant go any bigger on the antenna.! more thing i live at te bottom of a mountain.Not 2 much local talking....Skip talker.....
Wow a 8 year old thread... With a good antenna, properly installed and everything working as it should you don't need more than 100 watts to work the world. Learn to read the propagation charts. Your wallet, neighbours and electric bill will be happier.

Reactions: 1 person
With a good antenna, properly installed and everything working as it should you don't need more than 100 watts to work the world.
At what frequency and mode of operation. Some details help to keep statements in context. Is that 2m FM or what?

Wow a 8 year old thread... With a good antenna, properly installed and everything working as it should you don't need more than 100 watts to work the world. Learn to read the propagation charts. Your wallet, neighbours and electric bill will be happier.

Having a bad day w9cll ?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.