• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to clean contacts points ???

You need to disassemble the mic in order to gain access to the switch. Remove the head, then remove the screw that holds the 3 pin socket at the top of the neck. Remove the 3 screws at the base of the neck, the ptt handle and the 2 screws that hold the ptt switch to the neck. Slide the neck up and remove. Spray a soft cloth with electronics cleaner, insert it between the contacts and slide it back and forth a few times to clean the contacts. Avoid cleaners that have a high concentrate of petroleum like the junk they sell at Rat Shack. It leaves an oil film on the contacts that will attract dirt. CRC electronic cleaner works well or if you have some brake cleaner on hand it also does a good job.

Do NOT use a cloth, you will likely just damage the contacts. There is a special tool available to clean contacts, but I sometimes use a piece of notebook paper cut into strips of a size to fit in easily, dampened with contact cleaner. You insert the strip, and while holding very light pressure closing the contacts, slide the paper out. Do this several times, and you should see the dirt come off on the paper strip. This only works on DIRTY contacts, not burned or pitted contacts.

Interesting...I've been using a piece of cloth to clean contacts for 30+ years and have never damaged them. I suppose if you were too aggressive or didn't pay attention to what you were doing it would be possible, but that would be true no matter what you used to clean them.

Ok i got them cleaned now i cant get them back in,they keep turning and i can not get the holes to line up on the side where the bar is that makes it all come together .

De oxit
Get it at Rat shack. Works great on contacts and band switches, cleans up the oxidation.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.