• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How to hang wire over asphalt roof?

1kw thru insulated wire no problem. The issue is why have the antenna just draped over the roof when there are better options? Also i bet at even 100w your gonna have serious antenna tuning issues, reflect etc. Also your radiation pattern and angle are gonna be terrible. I urge you to explore the many different alternatives

Not true. 1Kw may only be 225 volts of RF but that is at the 50 ohm point. An end fed wire may present very high voltages along the length most likely at the ends where the RF voltages may reach several thousand. I have seen dipoles fed with 1 kw that would arc and burn tree leaves and limbs especially in wet or damp weather.

Reactions: Slowmover
Not true. 1Kw may only be 225 volts of RF but that is at the 50 ohm point. An end fed wire may present very high voltages along the length most likely at the ends where the RF voltages may reach several thousand. I have seen dipoles fed with 1 kw that would arc and burn tree leaves and limbs especially in wet or damp weather.
I googled a bit, but couldn't find any data on insulation safety factors. Surely 601v won't be a problem for 600v wire. Would 6000v arc through the insulation? The end of the wire is pretty easy to manage risk, but the rest of it near the house is what worries me.

I googled a bit, but couldn't find any data on insulation safety factors. Surely 601v won't be a problem for 600v wire. Would 6000v arc through the insulation? The end of the wire is pretty easy to manage risk, but the rest of it near the house is what worries me.

Define "near". Direct contact is definitely an issue. Several inches with ZERO chance of direct contact is OK.

Ok, next best option... tx through a mobile antenna. Due to lack of efficiency I'd probably have to run an amp unless conditions were excellent. What would be the best antenna for this? Leave the wire up for rx?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?