• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

how to tear apart a radio or i know why the caged coil rings!

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
ok so the title is lame but it made me chuckle when i thought of it.

This is a youtuber that i watch quite often, and really enjoy.

The guy's not necessarily a radio person, but i think you all will get a kick out of his narration style if nothing else.

anyone else watch this channel?
i would encourage anyone interested in machining, or in the trades to check it out.
LC

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

Sometimes I have one of those days where I say to myself "I don't feel that enough people flipped me the bird today", then I watch one of his videos and all is well.;)

He does have some interesting insights on workshop related stuff.

Reactions: loosecannon
Ave is at the top of my subscription list, along with "Talking Kitty Cat".

His closing of "Keep your d**k in a vise" started out as "Keep your stick on the ice".

The guy is twisted, but usually entertaining.

you have to admit though, watching him tear up that filter was rough LOL.

and of course, i'm going to now have to go check out a youtube channel called talking kitty cat LMAO.
LC

you have to admit though, watching him tear up that filter was rough LOL.

LC
I have mixed emotions from watching that video. I’m all for the comedic approach, but I cringe when I see an item such as this destroyed. If he doesn’t want to restore that rig, he should give it away or sell it to someone that appreciates old school workmanship. sbx-11 or 11A parts radios fetch a decent price when they become available. Many are being converted to 80, 60 and 40 meter QRP rigs. There are also a few support groups that specialize in modifying or restoring these. Why destroy when you can recycle?

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
He has done some other vids too - takes stuff apart so you can see how it works.

I agree, it was hard to see the radiotelephone get destroyed as he makes it almost laughable in the process...

Even did one with a Japanese Reduction gear - and how they use an offset cam to "walk" a gear meshed with pins to generate a 43 to 1 reduction. In order to "magnify" the way it worked, he tells of how a friend offered to make him a 3-D printed in plastic - very simple - almost elegant - and again, destroys the item once working.

He's pretty smart - but the conversation - reminds me of "To Kill A Mockingbird" - you never know where it's going.

He shows a talent, if not a gift, for understanding these things and his research seems to be pretty thorough - although by editing alone - you can see where he hits snags and has to backpedal - he must take hours of footage and parse / edit / reduce - to make an episode.

Seeing the hits he gets, he can pay for some bills just by Youtube alone.

:+> Andy <+:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated