1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

how to tear apart a radio or i know why the caged coil rings!

Discussion in 'General CB Services Discussion' started by loosecannon, May 18, 2018 at 4:46 AM.

1. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

ok so the title is lame but it made me chuckle when i thought of it.

This is a youtuber that i watch quite often, and really enjoy.

The guy's not necessarily a radio person, but i think you all will get a kick out of his narration style if nothing else.

anyone else watch this channel?
    i would encourage anyone interested in machining, or in the trades to check it out.
    LC

ShadeTreeMechanic likes this.

2. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Well-Known Member

Sometimes I have one of those days where I say to myself "I don't feel that enough people flipped me the bird today", then I watch one of his videos and all is well.;)

He does have some interesting insights on workshop related stuff.

loosecannon likes this.
  3. ShadeTreeMechanic

ShadeTreeMechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

"Lets go kick a ball Pop Pop" I love it! I remember when my kids were that little. Then they grow and turn into monsters. Now the youngest is 13 and mom and dad are not cool anymore.........

loosecannon likes this.
  4. dave457

dave457 Well-Known Member

I'll look at it later..... I'm watching Dr. Strange Glove right now

loosecannon likes this.
  5. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

LOL yeah i remember my parents finally learning all about life when i turned 21.
    they didn't know anything when i was 18!

LC

6. nomadradio

nomadradio Analog Retentive

Ave is at the top of my subscription list, along with "Talking Kitty Cat".

His closing of "Keep your d**k in a vise" started out as "Keep your stick on the ice".

The guy is twisted, but usually entertaining.

7. StrangeBrew

StrangeBrew Well-Known Member

Fast forward to about the 11:40 mark and look at the reflection in the wrench.

8. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Active Member

And to think - Keep Your Britches Between The Ditches and Keeping Your Tailfeathers warm were Clichés

9. loosecannon

loosecannon Sr. Member

you have to admit though, watching him tear up that filter was rough LOL.

and of course, i'm going to now have to go check out a youtube channel called talking kitty cat LMAO.
    LC

ShadeTreeMechanic and sunbulls like this.
  10. sunbulls

sunbulls Active Member

I have mixed emotions from watching that video. I’m all for the comedic approach, but I cringe when I see an item such as this destroyed. If he doesn’t want to restore that rig, he should give it away or sell it to someone that appreciates old school workmanship. sbx-11 or 11A parts radios fetch a decent price when they become available. Many are being converted to 80, 60 and 40 meter QRP rigs. There are also a few support groups that specialize in modifying or restoring these. Why destroy when you can recycle?

11. Handy Andy

Handy Andy Active Member

He has done some other vids too - takes stuff apart so you can see how it works.

I agree, it was hard to see the radiotelephone get destroyed as he makes it almost laughable in the process...

Even did one with a Japanese Reduction gear - and how they use an offset cam to "walk" a gear meshed with pins to generate a 43 to 1 reduction. In order to "magnify" the way it worked, he tells of how a friend offered to make him a 3-D printed in plastic - very simple - almost elegant - and again, destroys the item once working.

He's pretty smart - but the conversation - reminds me of "To Kill A Mockingbird" - you never know where it's going.

He shows a talent, if not a gift, for understanding these things and his research seems to be pretty thorough - although by editing alone - you can see where he hits snags and has to backpedal - he must take hours of footage and parse / edit / reduce - to make an episode.

Seeing the hits he gets, he can pay for some bills just by Youtube alone.

:+> Andy <+: