• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

HR2510 Increase Output.?

I stand by the recommendation that if it is working, it is not worth hacking the radio up to gain a few watts.
The mod that was posted in 73 mag years ago using the MRF 497 was in error, the author later came back and corrected the power output numbers to just slightly better than the 477.
Not worth hacking a working radio to do the work.

2 cents worth.

Jeff

And still nobody has uttered the word "decibel".

If you double the power of the radio, this will just, only begin to be noticed by anyone else. Any boost below that two-to-one proportion just won't show up.

Trouble is you need more than just double the power to make a difference that matters in any way at all.

Four-to-one will get noticed, but probably not more than about one whole number on the S-meter. How many dollars is that worth?

A ten-to-one boost will make a difference anyone can see or hear. But won't fit inside the radio, no matter how you do it. Even if it did, the power supply would be as big as the radio or more.

Tweaks to the inside of the radio may produce a "feel good" result when you look at the wattmeter, but remember the guy listening at the other end can't see your wattmeter. And the meter on his receiver responds in a very different sort of way.

And still nobody has uttered the word "decibel".

If you double the power of the radio, this will just, only begin to be noticed by anyone else. Any boost below that two-to-one proportion just won't show up.

Trouble is you need more than just double the power to make a difference that matters in any way at all.

Four-to-one will get noticed, but probably not more than about one whole number on the S-meter. How many dollars is that worth?

A ten-to-one boost will make a difference anyone can see or hear. But won't fit inside the radio, no matter how you do it. Even if it did, the power supply would be as big as the radio or more.

Tweaks to the inside of the radio may produce a "feel good" result when you look at the wattmeter, but remember the guy listening at the other end can't see your wattmeter. And the meter on his receiver responds in a very different sort of way.

exactly. and this is why i will never understand why alot of the cb crowd thinks it is such a prerequisite. they always wanna get in there and crank everything up, then they are like yeah my radio puts out 20w now instead of 15w, awesome. 6 months later the radio fails on them and they are like wtf? they just dont learn

Reactions: undertaker and NZ8N
Off topic, but since we have the attention of some veterans here I'm gonna ask.

I just got a 2600, which at a minimum I will have recapped before running it. I plan to use it on am only and a Red Devil 250R behind it. Obviously don't need any power mods, but is there any other mods to consider before sending it to OT03 ?

11m AM is all I currently use, don't really foresee using it elsewhere. It was a late night impulse buy on Fleabay.

You will have to change processor, or swap out the crystal to drop the frequency 2 MHz
The frequency display will not follow the swap, you just have to minus 2 Mhz.
The best way is the chipswitch.

Rogerbird is a member here, and did have some Chipswitches for sale if you want to go that route.
He will do installs as well.
Thanks to Big Kahuna ( CB radio Mag) for the video

Jeff

here's how it works out with 100W from 0.5 dB. to 3.0 db. of
power loss from a loss controlled line @ 50 ohms feeding a
matched, purely resistive (load) antenna.

100W - 0.5 dB. = 89.10W
100W - 1.0 dB. = 79.40W
100W - 1.5 dB. = 70.80W
100W - 2.0 dB. = 63.10W
100W - 2.5 dB. = 56.20W
100W - 3.0 dB. = 50.10W

dB. loss = 10 log (Wout ÷ 100W)

or you can check the figures here:
https://www.rapidtables.com/convert/electric/db-converter.html

Last edited:
Reactions: NZ8N
In about 2008, I had a friend (local to Clearwater) who had an HR2600 that he wanted me to ChipSwitch, which I did. I wound up getting his 2600 CPU board, swapping in a spare 2510 CPU board I had at the time, and socketed it to put the ChipSwitch in, as that was what he wanted.

I shifted the pins on the plugs themselves to put the correct 2600 wire (radio side) to the correct 2510 pin (CPU side) on the board. If you carefully use an Exacto or other small sharp blade, there is a tab that interlocks the wires into the plug, so I shifted the wires to make them work. correctly, rather than cut traces on the board.

I had worked on a LOT of HR2510/2600 and Emperor TS5010 radios up until I quit and moved to Clearwater in 2000.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.