• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hy-Gain Afterburner on steroids

kopcicle

Feb 17, 2016
or

A funny thing happened on the way to a repair.
Thanks again to @nomadradio and @Dmans for reminding me of this.
For those of you that missed it ~
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/hygain-afterburner-plus-482-grid-bias.228873/

Usually it's because I just can't leave well enough alone. In this case my younger brother burned up the transformer trying to run 6LQ6's in place of the 6JU6's. As most know the weak point in all of these vintage amplifiers is the iron. Ironic then that now when they are found scavengers yard the tubes out and toss the chassis. When these were built the single most expensive part was the transformer.

So you would think that there should be half a zillion of these transformers just laying around. Nope.
You see the 6.3 isn't the issue it's the 800-1000V needed at the plate with enough current to make it go.
The next issue is finding a 325-0-325 with enough current to drive two tubes and still fit in the chassis without butchering the sheet metal or succumbing to the urge of an external power supply.

325-0-325 + 6.3 in the size needed just wasn't happening so I went to the last TV repair shop (around here anyway) and dug up a 350-0-350 that just might work. Enough resistance across the caps in the doubler and using the stouter 6MJ6 tubes it just might work.

The first step was to get the transformer in the chassis. Everything had to come out to stuff the new iron in.

The next three days were spent changing the position and location of the tank coil, moving the boards out to the edge of the chassis as far as they will go, and completing the the rest of the hook ups.

You'll notice there is no more room in the front of the box as the tubes have been moved forward.
There is so little room on the relay side that the relay is a near press fit to the cover.
The back of the tube sockets are so close to the chassis that several layers of insulation are needed.
Speaking of press fit, the cover is so tight over the top of the transformer that it takes a bit of patience to get it over the core and slid forward.

first Dave's 482
stock.JPG

Now 20 pounds of krap in a 5 pound box

steroids.jpeg

I haven't seen this thing with the cover off in 15 years. What a surprise when Major Void brought it over today. @Dmans , Dave, like you I biased it up and off just to try and keep the heat load off it. @nomadradio if you and Dave are looking for the filter caps, they're in there , near totally obscured by the transformer wiring that had to be turned 90 degrees just to make it all fit. Even then it wasn't that hard to hide the caps because anything more than 20MFD@500V ea in the filter and the diodes would die a sudden inrush current death. Not much of any place on that side of the box for a soft start so ...

I'll be bringing this big block sub compact back to life over the next few weeks. Stay tuned for the smoke show.

P.S. Thank You Cr and Dave . I had almost forgotten what it was like to do stupid shit in RF.
Void , Thank You for holding on to this piece of history.

Tater

Last edited:

The inrush current is why I added an soft start in the SB-1000, after replacing the caps and diodes for better ones.
I bet i have more space in the SB 1000 as in that little box though.... ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Slowmover
No one will say that power supply is lacking for the job. Old TV transformers can be repurposed for a lot of different applications. Would you believe one of those power transformers can be rewired for use as a modulation transformer in a DX-100? I learned this trick from W1HLR and it was a vast improvement over the weak mod iron in that rig. Thanks Tim.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.