1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

I always hear buy a HF Rig for 11 meters.

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by Grogan, Feb 24, 2020.

1. 1KT001

1KT001 New Member

[QUOTE = "ForestRunner98, post: 743984, member: 57126"] Ciao amico !! [/ QUOTE]
    Ciao !!!

2. cralt

cralt Well-Known Member

I have a well used TS-570D. It was never good on AM TX. RX is fine and I have it hooked to a 3 way speaker. I listen to broadcast MW and shortwave all the time.
    On TX everyone always said it sounded harsh and flat. I wonder if it is even true AM or just double sideband? I never bothered to check it out on a SA.
    The radio is an absolute trooper on SSB and FSK though. Ive been abusing it for a decade with everything from packet, SSTV, to the latest flavor of the week digital mode. Keeps on ticking. Thats what these radios where made for. I think AM was just an afterthought.

For AM on CB I have more fun using a real CB.
    For SSB on CB lots of guys around me seem to like the IC706.

Slowmover likes this.
  3. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Generally Ham rigs don't do good am because they are designed for SSB. I have told people many times that run a ham rig for SSB and a Cobra 29 for AM.

Slowmover and cralt like this.
  4. Grogan

Grogan W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

I see my post surfaced again. Here is an update. I did buy the Yaesu FT-891 and love it and I was reading how to make the audio better on AM. I bought one of the BM-800 microphones and set up the internal EQ for the best audio. someone online posted the settings if you google them. Sounds good on AM and SSB too. and for 39.00 delivered on amazon, it's a no brainer. Great cheap microphone.

Shadetree Mechanic and Slowmover like this.
  5. secret squirrel

secret squirrel Lustrous Potentate

Not to steal a thread but what type of drifting from a Galaxy type chassis are you gentlemen referring? I have a Texas Ranger 696 FD1. Its identical to a Galaxy 959 except the counter is 6 digits. The clarifier is unlocked. I let it warm up for 30min prior to talking on LSB. the counter does drift back and forth 27.2850 to 27.2851, or 27.2849 and I have to adjust it back. Its not a constant thing and whoever I am listening to does not really get distorted during a conversation. Is this to what you are referring?

6. SIX-SHOOTER

SIX-SHOOTER Sr. Member

KENWOOD TS-50 is a great AM & SSB radio.I have owned (4) of them & they don't have the crazy menus that most radios do now.I am a Die Hard ICOM Man but the KENWOOD TS-50 is the Exception to the rule.

SIX-SHOOTER

Monza likes this.