• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I Can't Stand It Any Longer

Bob S.

Oct 28, 2008
Northwestern Otsego, Co., NY.
I've been interested in amateur radio since I was ten years old and asked a guy what his "I'm a Ham" bumper sticker meant. He was nice enough to explain the basics to me and showed me his radio. Thirty six years later and I still haven't gotten my license. I recently purchased a portable shortwave radio and of all that there is to listen to, I can't stay away from the amateur bands. I've got to get my license!

Bob

Last edited:

Go here! Read it over a couple times. Go to qrz.com and do a bunch of practice tests. Go back and read this stuff again. Go back and do more practice tests and then go take the real test.

I did it this way and I'm not a good learner and I past the tech missing one and then past the general missing two.

http://w5ac.tamu.edu/Element2_Study_Guide.pdf

Then get ready to spend some big bucks!!!

Hit the ground running Bob. There are plenty of resources available to get you started and ready to test and get that coveted license. Best wishes to you on your endeavor. Hope to hear you on the bands in the not too distant future. Let us know how your progress goes. If you have questions don't hesitate to ask on this forum. There are a a lot of folks here who can help you along on your journey.

Wayne C.

If you really want to do it stop thinking so hard about it and DO IT!! So many people finally do it and still want to kick there own @$$ for waiting so long!

When i first read the thread title i thought it was about VD or gonorrhea, now i realise it's about something far worse than even aids, the desire to be a radio ham:eek:, or as we fondly know it in my city, boringthearseofeveryoneitis. ;):pop::pop:

Thank you all for the information and the encouragement, I appreciate it. I'll study the info recommended and try not to drive you folks crazy with questions. Thanks again!

Bob

Questions is the only way to learn Bob, i don't think you would drive anyone crazy on here with questions. You don't ask you don't get.

Common sense.

If you've got that, you can pass the tech exam. Most of it is safety related stuff. There's a little bit of operating procedure in there as well, possibly some basic math (ohm's law).

I'd love to see all club members get their Tech or higher and command several freqs on 10m for WW DX'n.

- Doing the same thing but legally without worry for getting nailed, and with both the sanctioning and protection of the Fed.

There are more & more times when a license will save the hassle of antenna restrictions, and they're trying to get a bill through here in the USA to add HAmateur antenna systems to 'fully exempt' status!

Good luck, Bob. I was considering warning you that it's not that easy to get a license, but then I remembered that I have one.
wink2.gif

Go for it Bob and have fun with it.
Once you get your ticket you will be "bit by the bug" and will face something that new and experienced HAM's face.
A learning curve in the hobby for the rest of your days as there is so much to know, learn and share as this is a hobby of experimentations.
Simple things like light as we see it is a wave to much complicated scenarios.
An interesting hobby it is but what makes it the most fun is "people interaction".
You will get a kick out of your first long distance DX and that never stops even when you can talk around the world!!
Have Fun!!
tracker.

dont do like me,i was on 11mtr ssb from 1970 till 1993.My Father and Father inlaw was hams and never took the test.In 1993 i took the tech test and code also,and stayed a tech+ till last year,wish i upgraded.73s and have fun when you pass...de n0zna/John

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.