• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I can't use ham to replace cb

thanks

thanks moleculo
I was hoping that ham would work. My friends are considering ham if it would work.

thanks moleculo
I was hoping that ham would work. My friends are considering ham if it would work.

It actually works much better than the other options. If you get spread out on the trail or road in hilly terrain, CB or FRS is virtually useless. Plus, if at least one of you obtains your General or higher license, that vehicle can become HF capable which can be used quite effectively in the time of emergency.

It actually works much better than the other options. If you get spread out on the trail or road in hilly terrain, CB or FRS is virtually useless. Plus, if at least one of you obtains your General or higher license, that vehicle can become HF capable which can be used quite effectively in the time of emergency.

I second what Mole said......(y)

Tanks mole That is exsactaly what I was hoping to be able to do with ham. (y) I was starting to get discouraged Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Sorry but an Frs or Gmrs radio would be much easier for that application. You and your friends will spend all this time getting ready for and taking the proper tests. If you all pass and then go out and buy new radio stuff I can see it now. You guys will be rock crawling and some stuffy other hams will get mad and claim you are out of line. Then they get your numbers and report you and you have to go through all that mess.

Right here, all you need. Motorola T8500 GMRS/FRS 2-WAY Radio Walkie-Talkie 18mil - eBay (item 200334806777 end time May-05-09 08:00:00 PDT)

I can see it now. You guys will be rock crawling and some stuffy other hams will get mad and claim you are out of line. Then they get your numbers and report you and you have to go through all that mess.

The sky is falling the sky is falling.

Sorry but an Frs or Gmrs radio would be much easier for that application. You and your friends will spend all this time getting ready for and taking the proper tests. If you all pass and then go out and buy new radio stuff I can see it now. You guys will be rock crawling and some stuffy other hams will get mad and claim you are out of line. Then they get your numbers and report you and you have to go through all that mess.

Right here, all you need. Motorola T8500 GMRS/FRS 2-WAY Radio Walkie-Talkie 18mil - eBay (item 200334806777 end time May-05-09 08:00:00 PDT)

I agree with 9C1Driver. This is more or less what I meant when suggesting that Kane find another hobby. There should be plenty of room in Ham Radio for everybody, but you will get a lot of grief from some (maybe many) ham operators if you guys just want to ham it up a bit on the air.

now i remember why i never took my ham test.i dont see how drivinfg
a 4x4 thru the woods or whatever and chatting on a ham band legally
is affecting anyone.but if ya guys are close and could careless about
distance just buy a midland 1001z and a k30 mag mount @ copper.com
this setup will set ya back bout 60 bucks roughly.should be able to
talk bout 3-5 miles apart pending on terrain.

This thread is like a tug of war between CB and Ham. It's actually funny.

Be both. There is nothing wrong with that and most of those guys are pretty cool. Moleculo and Happy Hamer are prime examples of that. (Insert WWDX Fathers Day Prize here)

Hell, use Ham, CB, Cell Phone, FRS, GMRS or even smoke signals. It's all there for you to take advantage of.

As long as you abide by the Ham rules it doesn't matter what you converse about. If someone wants to turn you in for communicating while rock crawling then they will turn you in no matter what.

With CB you have the same kind of bullshit. You will find guys plugging your ears and cutting your lips off just to show you they can do it so it doesn't matter really what you chose, there are assholes everywhere. I'm a prime example of that.

The topic has changed direction. Now it's not about whether or not Ham or CB will work for you. It's about the personality types of Hams and Cbers.

The song remains the same.

With all that said, how about some pics of your Rock Crawler?

Hey man, every so often, just toss out a remark about your swollen prostate or skin spots, all will be good!

You guys that aren't licensed (Marconi, hotrod) are giving bad information and are not helping this guy out at all. Try actually studying a little bit about what the ticket can be used for before pitching in your uneducated 2 cents. Also try actually being out in an offroad survival situation before recommending what will work there. I'm sorry...I'm usually the peace maker and am the last person here to stir it up, but you guys are talking out of your ass, and I'm calling you on it this time.

I am a seasoned off roader...and I'm not talking about taking a drive out into the mud patch outside of town where you can walk back to town if you get stuck. I'm talking about 8000 feet, up in the mountains, on a back trail where the only person that is going to help you if your axle breaks is your other buddies and God. Or how about out in the Mojave Desert or Death Valley where it's 115-120 degrees, the land has 3000 foot elevation changes and the terrain is made up of volcanic rock that even the lizards don't want to sun bathe on. Pack your food, water, clothes, gas, everything in and out because you can't rely on anything except yourself and what you bring.

CB/FRS/GMRS is a WASTE OF TIME when off road, unless you live in Kansas or some other flat land, and even then it's questionable. CB, FRS, or GMRS won't be able to get through the canyons, hills, mountains, valley, even through 2 bends around the next hill and through the next gulley on the trail. When the vehicles get spread out, you need something that will be able to bounce around the hills, peaks, and valleys. FRS/GMRS won't do it (too high in frequency) and CB won't do it (not enough power that low in frequency). 144Mhz or 220 Mhz is what you need. If all you've got is a CB and an FRS radio, in an emergency situation where you need to call help, you might as well just shout your lungs out, because it end up in the same result. There is more to having an effective off road radio solution that standing 10 feet away as a spotter. You need to be able to do that, plus communicate on the trail in various terrains and be able to contact someone in the State you're in when an emergency happens

Only ham radio satisfies these requirements. There are no "stuffy hams" that are going to discourage you from doing this. Don't listen to those who have no knowledge of what you're up against in this application; listen to those with the experience. Tell anyone that wants to quote the FCC regs to come here and talk to me. I'll be happy to set them straight.

Marconi...maybe you should try listening into some Ham frequencies for a while. You might be surprised out how similar to CB radio it really is.

I agree with moleculo ... no other form of communication can get your "cry for help" out from those sort of locations like a Ham Radio . FRS/GMRS , CBs and even Cell Phones tend to be useless in areas outside of town . The 2m/70cm tends to sound like a CB around my area as well , complete with truckers and all. No one around here cares about it at all. Just because you don't want to get into Ham Radio is no reason to try and discourage someone else from trying it out themselves .

It was just my opinion. In the case of an emergency I don't think the Hams would be a problem. I was talking about several guys doing the trucker, CB'r, or Joe thing on the Ham frequencies. Someone has already suggested that guys will be guys and I agree that doesn't seem to change regardless of the comunications service used.

If you're operating simplex on 2M or 70cm, there should be no problem as long as you identify as required.

Going through repeaters might be a different story, though, unless you own the repeater yourself. The repeater owner has no requirement to make his machine available to one and all.

I have to throw my support behind moleculo as well on this one. There is no such FCC regulation pertaining to ham radio that says that you cannot use it for idle chit-chat among a group doing as you propose to do. Anyone that says that someone will report you for doing so is GROSSLY misinformed. In this case simplex would be the best choice over a repeater and would serve your wants and needs quite well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.