• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man, I guess I am getting old (I am). I remember back in the days when a fellow with the handle CW Morse used to be on the forums (this one, Grumpy’s Olde Time Radio Forum, etc) and bashing CB operators about their “Leenyar amplifiers” and trashing “export” radios. Nothing changes...except the names.

I agree that radio should be fun...whether it is on the ham bands or the Citizens band. Of course, fun also comes with some personal responsibilty, but that is a whole other discussion. My biggest complaint with ham radio is that hams take themselves too seriously. I guess many must think that a worthless license issued by a useless government agency, actually means something. Whatever gives your life meaning, I guess. My ham license means nothing to me, other than authorizing my use of parts of the radio spectrum. It does not make me feel any different about myself, and I like to have fun when I am on the ham bands or the Citizens band ( I actually prefer CB, because there is generally more “fun” taking place, and a lot fewer useless nets !!!).

Of course, my biggest complaint about CB is that it can attract sociopaths who just like to screw with people (many of these sociopaths have received their amateur radio licenses, thanks to the aforementioned worthless licensing process).

As far as “export” radios...there are good ones and bad ones, just like there are good and bad ham radios (FYI, Yaesu’s recent offerings generally suck, the FT-891 being the exception). A stock Anytone AT-6666 has great audio, has a clean signal, and it’s rejection is better than a Yaesu FTM-400DR (The 400 front end rejection is about as bad as any cheap Chinese dual band mobile). Don’t let Lester screw up a 6666 on you, he will destroy the SSB audio with his stupid filter swap.

Sometimes these discussions remind me of the gun debate, where people want to blame the gun, rather than the person who pulls the trigger. My President Lincoln II has been on 10m since 2014, and I have always been complimented on my audio and signal... after I tell the other station I was using a Yaesu FT-950. :p

don't judge all hams for actions of a few. i enjoy cb just as much as ham radio, currently have 4 export radios and 3 ham radios all i bought brand new. i never buy used gear.

Looks another CBer versus ham thread in the making again. :confused: These never end well and end up getting locked in the end when things go downhill. If you want to just get on the air and carry on and even be a complete idiot sometimes get on CB. If you want a laid back atmosphere and some structure a bit go amateur. That sums up the vast majority of operators on either service and of course there are exceptions to every rule. My opinion is if you don't like it stay away and that goes for either radio group.

When I bash exports I'm just giving my honest opinion. I tried ranger, connex, galaxy, Stryker, magnum them and have sold them all. I don't use ssb on 11 meters because no one seems to be able to get on the same frequency. A cobra 29 is all I need for 11m.

I've seen plenty of hams with the same issues, look at any HF radio review on youtube, about 80% of the SSB RX videos you see, the operator has not tuned in the other operators correctly, and I can hear it with my own ears. Now as afar as a bunch of
exports sliding around? sure, particularly older ones. Newer radios are much better in that regard. Then again I'm biased, back 10+ years ago I operated on 11M SSB about 90% of the time vs everything else. Plenty of crap and good operators and
equipment of all stripes. I've also found that the competent SSB guys seem to go
in waves. It's not a big deal to tune in one guy, I can do it in seconds, but if you got group talks going on, it gets a little more hairy.

Looks another CBer versus ham thread in the making again. :confused: These never end well and end up getting locked in the end when things go downhill. If you want to just get on the air and carry on and even be a complete idiot sometimes get on CB. If you want a laid back atmosphere and some structure a bit go amateur. That sums up the vast majority of operators on either service and of course there are exceptions to every rule. My opinion is if you don't like it stay away and that goes for either radio group.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see this as a "CB vs Ham" thing, as much as it is like brand/type loyalism etc, a lot of people can get their ego bruised when someone craps on their radio for any technical flaws it might have. I let go of that stuff a long time ago because it serves no purpose. if someone craps on my radio (regardless of whaterver it is) they have a right to their opinion. IMO thats the "adult" thing to do- not get offended about something in a way that is meaningless. the only thing that matters to an operator is whether or not the gear in question suits his/her needs or not. I think some in this thread may be mistaking an attempt by others to help people as an attack on their radio of choice. I don't think some guy going "Hey, I had most of those, and most of them sucked' or similar, is necessarily destructive. Some people just try to help guide others to not make the same mistakes they did, etc . I've seen the same things with radios, guns, cars, you name it. Ultimately the guy buying the stuff is going to do whatever he feels is right anyways. People gotta make their own decisions, preferably informed ones.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see this as a "CB vs Ham" thing, as much as it is like brand/type loyalism etc, a lot of people can get their ego bruised when someone craps on their radio for any technical flaws it might have. I let go of that stuff a long time ago because it serves no purpose. if someone craps on my radio (regardless of whaterver it is) they have a right to their opinion. IMO thats the "adult" thing to do- not get offended about something in a way that is meaningless. the only thing that matters to an operator is whether or not the gear in question suits his/her needs or not. I think some in this thread may be mistaking an attempt by others to help people as an attack on their radio of choice. I don't think some guy going "Hey, I had most of those, and most of them sucked' or similar, is necessarily destructive. Some people just try to help guide others to not make the same mistakes they did, etc . I've seen the same things with radios, guns, cars, you name it. Ultimately the guy buying the stuff is going to do whatever he feels is right anyways. People gotta make their own decisions, preferably informed ones.

You are new here. I have been here since the beginning of time. I am speaking from experience that's all.

Sorry did not mean to start a pissing contest...

Oh no....you didn't. Don't take me wrong. Almost every time things start to compare CB to ham whether it is equipment or operators it usually goes downhill. I was just mentioning that so people would maybe NOT go that route. It's all good. (y)

Yeah but mine is probably nicer than what you’re thinking. I won’t go away mad, I’ll just go away...

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.