• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooooh boy!!!

I know what’s being referenced here and I’ll stick my foot in my big fat mouth.

I don’t agree totally on the issue of the radios with amps built in being problem child’s due to heat. It doesn’t make things better but I just don’t totally agree. With that said, they’re crazy about the prices of radios like the 98’s, 2970’s and the like. And the freakin’ wholesale isn’t that much cheaper in a lot of cases.

I have an FT897 and I’m looking at either a 756 Pro or maybe the IC7300 or possibly the FTDX3000. But guess what else I just bought myself for craps and giggles, mostly just because... a 2995DX. And at wholesale, it wasn’t cheap. At any price, it’s over rated for what you get versus price but I wanted it, that’s why I bought it.

Also bought a Connex 4600 Turbo, just because.

It’s not about you, it’s about the consumer - Joe Dirt.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to order an RCI-63FFC2, because it’s all shiny and shiny things get my attention.

Guilty.

Not gonna lie, I'm probably one of the bashers that he's referring to. I just want to make sure people are educated and don't make a $400-700 mistake. Unfortunately, 95% of the 10-12M "exports" being made today have various major flaws. People deserve to know what those flaws are before spending that kind of money.

~Cheers~

That makes two...

Having been raised around various Relatives of Military Grade - I grew up looking rather serious into hobbies like Radio as part of a technical background like Electronics and Physical Sciences; then I discovered CB radio and then finding out it is a playground for both ham and CB alike. Sigh - tends to spoil the desire to rise above the ranks - when you see the one you look to for leadership - not acting much more than the "children" you wanted to leave behind in that playground.

So when I look at radios like Uniden or Cobra, I see a discipline that is not readily seen elsewhere in both the radio itself and as a tool to use. It isn't made to take in "Echo boards" easily - not unlike the Export models that simply use dummy jumper headers and if you keep your wits about you, can easily convert the Talkback and Dimmer ganged control over to Depth and Delay for the very board you just plugged in.

Galaxy has it's fingers in the Amateur ranks and has easily shown itself to be capable, but just not a competent competitor to more devoted and dedicated platform like Yaseu and Kenwood.
  • Now before you question "Capable" - why don't to think for a moment about the issue of why Galaxy/RCI Magnum, RF Limited, Palomar and many others - even exist.
  • Because they share the same enthusiasm, and get you to part with your money providing the products that serve your tastes.
  • I said Enthusiasm, not necessarily the level of Intricacy related to Quality - it works for what it does. Just not to a standard many seem to expect - SEE: Intricacy

Again, that issue of fallback (being where to go from here) and is it worth the effort to go there - when those you want to leave to let them play in their sandbox are the same ones that can find you minding your own business elsewhere - and cut in and take over "because they can"

Well, now you know what my true color is out here, and I may be alone in this, but....as you read more about the posts', subjects and the threads I've participated in, I don't take radio lightly - for it may be all that is left once the liberal media has consumed the last brain cell of those staring at whatever is streaming into their phones at the same time Screaming for more input.
Johnny5.jpg
So while there is still time to learn, I'm making every attempt to prepare for the worst.

But then there are two sides to every coin - I also can hope for the best.

So I again choose, everyday to be something of a leader albeit I can guarantee I will be judged for the approach - then consider that very approach as a reference of scale...

The world does not revolve around you....

To hell with those that can't grow up.

Last edited:
When a member ask about an Export radio they get there ass handed to them . Not everyone me included cares about a high dollar HF rig. I have maybe 2 or 3 cb radios. All the rest are Export radios. RCI , Anytone, Stryker and so on. Just curios when someone ask about one the naysayers have a hey day!!!

I remember when this forum was fun....................That is all...

I think telling them the TRUTH & it hurting their feelings is far better than hearing them cry about the POS radio they are stuck with when it lets out that Magic Smoke. In all hobbies their are those with Thin Skin & no matter what is suggested they are in some way offended. I am Old School & have Zero use for any Export CB & I hear them drifting all over the place & know they ar pretty much junk & agree or not most of them are all the same radios with a different name brand on them & it is not a new issue just an ongoing saga yet people keep feeding the companies & supporting them & their poor build practices. No such hobby as a Perfect one since none of us are Perfect so it's impossible having a Perfect hobby for everyone. I agree that CB was far better in the 1960's & 70's but those days are never coming back so it is what we make of it no matter how good or bad it may be. Take it with a grain of salt & move on with life. It's to short to stress over a radio for sure or an opinion since we all have them.

SIX-SHOOTER

Some prefer Harleys-Others prefer Triumphs! Both machines are good machines and both machines have their problems.

et vivere, reservate!

73's
David

(For the record, I have had many Harleys and many Triumphs)

Reactions: 357magnum
When a member ask about an Export radio they get there ass handed to them . Not everyone me included cares about a high dollar HF rig. I have maybe 2 or 3 cb radios. All the rest are Export radios. RCI , Anytone, Stryker and so on. Just curios when someone ask about one the naysayers have a hey day!!!

I remember when this forum was fun....................That is all...
A lot of hams thumb their noses at export radios as "it's not typed accepted."

Reactions: 357magnum
The FACT of the matter is that there is a BIG difference in the quality of an export radio and an amateur radio and a lot of CBers just either NOT want to hear that of believe it. They think that because they get good audio reports all the hams are full of crap and biased. What they also do not know or car about is that most export radios generate spurious emissions both in-band and out of band that will not be heard on-channel but they do cause interference nevertheless. THAT is one reason hams will often suggest an amateur radio over an export radio. The receivers in both and are much different when it comes to handling strong adjacent channel signals too. In short yes there IS a REAL reason hams may suggest an amateur radio over an export radio especially when the $$$ difference very little.

The FACT of the matter is that there is a BIG difference in the quality of an export radio and an amateur radio and a lot of CBers just either NOT want to hear that of believe it. They think that because they get good audio reports all the hams are full of crap and biased. What they also do not know or car about is that most export radios generate spurious emissions both in-band and out of band that will not be heard on-channel but they do cause interference nevertheless. THAT is one reason hams will often suggest an amateur radio over an export radio. The receivers in both and are much different when it comes to handling strong adjacent channel signals too. In short yes there IS a REAL reason hams may suggest an amateur radio over an export radio especially when the $$$ difference very little.

And I’ll agree with you 100% there. While you have to mod an export and a ham rig to do 11m, I still wouldn’t suggest a ham rig if they were wanting to talk on 11m. True, it would be cleaner but I still just wouldn’t suggest it.

And if they clearly stated they didn’t want a ham rig or didn’t want replies to contain such, I’d respect their wishes and not suggest one either.

In spite of it all good-bad the Anytone AT-6666 radios have my attention. Don't have or need one but nevertheless I'm tempted.

I've heard a few on the air and have talked to them. They sound good on my end but how would I know. I have only heard and talked to them on a couple of my lowly CB radios...a Uniden Grant Washington and Uniden Grant XL. o_O

I have many CBs as well as a Stryker 440 and a Galaxy 99v. The exports are an easy way to get a little more power and extra channels as well as echo and roger beep. I personally don't use echo but the Roger beep can be useful for talking to weak stations that are fading in and out. Sometimes the beep is all you can hear because it is so much louder than the voice modulation, but it lets you know to keep listening and maybe the rest of the signal will roll in.

When I bash exports I'm just giving my honest opinion. I tried ranger, connex, galaxy, Stryker, magnum them and have sold them all. I don't use ssb on 11 meters because no one seems to be able to get on the same frequency. A cobra 29 is all I need for 11m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.