• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I dont understand

Status
Not open for further replies.

undertaker

Undertaker
Apr 5, 2006
Texas
When a member ask about an Export radio they get there ass handed to them . Not everyone me included cares about a high dollar HF rig. I have maybe 2 or 3 cb radios. All the rest are Export radios. RCI , Anytone, Stryker and so on. Just curios when someone ask about one the naysayers have a hey day!!!

I remember when this forum was fun....................That is all...

Bobby , You been around this forum longer than myself , you know certain ones come out of the wood work !:whistle:;):) Besides nothing wrong with the radios you own ! I've been thinking a while about adding a low $ Anytone to my collection . Personally I've heard $ like them . Just my 2 cents .(y):D

The only "high dollar" HF rig around here , wasn't. It came to me hurt and cheap.
The rest were sub $400 "boat anchors", Hybrids actually, all sand state save for the driver and final pair.

Unfortunately my personal tech experience ends with variations of the PC-412 and various MC145106 with and without 4 bit adders. After a long 11m layoff and a still recent entry into amateur radio (3 years) I know nothing about recent 10/11/12m "export" radios. I conspicuously stay out of such discussions other than downloading a schematic and helping diagnose specific issues. (or just confusing the issue)

I do have an opinion here though. Some of the prices attached to the recent crop of power added export radios make me wonder. Sure a pair or quad of BJT's or MosFets are a selling point but at near $500 I can't see it . This does of course come from my experience with classic HF radio and the classic 11m modified ham gear. From the crystal modified Yaesu 101, Tempo One, Tempo 2020 to the TS 440 and Icom 735* all are near commonly available for the same or less dollars.

You'll never hear me bash an export radio other than on its individual merits. Some won't stay on frequency. Others won't meet even an approximation of spectral purity. Still others are a re-packaged design with all the faults of the original and cheaper construction.

To each their own and be happy.

*The Icom 735 gives you a fairly capable general coverage receiver as well

I don't think I have ever made a "Bashing" comment on Export radio's except some that have Ridiculous pricing. The one's that come close to price on a quality engineered full HF rig.
Most of the "Bashing" I noticed are from Cb'ers who have actually worked on them, and tried to fix age old flaws from recycled designs going back 20 yrs+.
So with that...Yes, to each his own!
All the Best
Gary

high dollar HF rig
Most I have spent on an HF rig was $400, for that I got an ICOM 706MkgII, Screw Driver antenna and electronic auto tuner for the antenna. My current HF rg is a Yaesu FT-101ZDMKIII that I paid $250 for. I picked up a Yaesu FT-901DM for free, added the tubes and now use that with a transverter on 2m SSB.

I do try to direct somone to an HF rig if they are going to spend a lot of money on an export.

Seems like it's only an issue on exports north of $350 or so.
At that price level one must evaluate what you really want. Three hundred and fifty is starting to get into the entry point of decent used ham gear. If someone wants to be the big AM sound then well their options are limited but if the person wants very good SSB then there are lots of options at that price point.

These work good on antennas. (y)

image_22937.jpg

When a member ask about an Export radio they get there ass handed to them . Not everyone me included cares about a high dollar HF rig. I have maybe 2 or 3 cb radios. All the rest are Export radios. RCI , Anytone, Stryker and so on. Just curios when someone ask about one the naysayers have a hey day!!!

I don't agree with people "hatin" (I think people should buy what they want to buy) but I think in some cases it might just be a well intentioned post by the respondent to get someone to "graduate". I mean lets face facts here, I can go on fleabay right now for 500 bucks or less and buy a used kenwood TS450S that will pretty much curb stomp a typical export rig in nearly every aspect other than being able to push high level AM audio. (and a 450 actually sounds pretty good on AM with a D104, etc. ) The only "disadvantage" for most is it won't have a roger beep and an echo board built into it....

Part of the problem I have with most of the export rigs is that they are something best resembling a joke on SSB. I wish they just wouldn't even bother (eg, I have zero problem with AM/FM only export rigs, makes sense) or at least if they're going to bother, put in a clarifier that doesn't move 3000 hz over the range of its travel.... the reality is something more like 200-300 hz tops is needed.

This makes the whole export CB thing an untenable proposition going past a couple hundred bucks or so. Once you're at like 400+ the idea starts to fall flat.

Now, if someone had taken something like the HR2510 and made an improved version of the radio with 10hz resolution...or at least a finer, easy to tune clarifier, and some AM audio improvements, with a 100-200W RF deck on it, I think the conversation would be a bit different.

-Mike

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
Guilty.

Not gonna lie, I'm probably one of the bashers that he's referring to. I just want to make sure people are educated and don't make a $400-700 mistake. Unfortunately, 95% of the 10-12M "exports" being made today have various major flaws. People deserve to know what those flaws are before spending that kind of money.

~Cheers~

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.