• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I MAX FINALLY IN THE AIR!

Stellasstillarat

Aug 14, 2014
First let me thank everyone who's helped me with this and all the other issues I've had.

The swr is 1.1:1.
I made sevral contacts from 30 to 60 miles with great reports.
I've yet to make any skip contacts as there isn't any coming in.
I must say I notice big differance between the old a99 and the newly installed I max 2000. Much quieter on the ears. The hiss I thought was normal for a double conversation front end is practically gone.
The two stations I was familiar with while using the a99 have gained close to 2 s-units.
I'm very happy and wish I'd started with the I max or changed the a99 sooner.
In my case the I max is a huge improvement.
With the a99 the swr warning light would blink on my madison with my modulation (while using my amp. Any amp) even lthough the swr on the two meters I switched between to check wheather it was rising into the danger area stayed in the safe range. It was always in 1.3-1.4:1. I'm assuming it was caused by the antenna (a99) itself or the fact I had stray rf coming in the shack through my feedline.
What ever caused it has stopped with the I max. Wheather this is because the imax has an rf cchoke (MFj 915) installed I may never know because the MFj 915 was installed upon the installation of the antenna.
All I know is that the I max 2000 is working excellent.
Of cause I'd be happier if it were 40' in the air or atlest above the roof line but at 12' off the ground it's working so much better than the a99 at the same height, and will i will not be touching it for any reason unless it needs to be, touched that is, i won't be going anywhere near it. I'm looking forward to shooting some skip but that s up to atmospheric conditions. Thank y'all. I very much appreciate all the help I get from you people.

Band here been kinda dead. Might try at night too for some dx. Been getting east coast a lot lately from FL to Canada from like 8-11pm. Anyway, glad to hear it's up and working well for you. Have fun and happy dxing.

Glad to help out. Good luck getting it up higher in the future. As with many 11 m antennae the sweet spot seems to be around 36 ft. to the feedpoint.

Properly installed antenna works properly.

Its been an epic journey for you friend but you got there in the end and have seen real benefits from the effort put in.

Don't worry about the skip. The sun turned off radio a week ago to quite an epic level and conditions are only just start to improve. 11m is a winter band so as you get later into September and especially into October you should really start to hear plenty.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.