• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need an antenna tuner

KJ4VRQ

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 9, 2013
Can anyone give me an idea of what tuner I should get? I use a g5rv. I am using a yaesu 897.

First thing to do is throw away the g5rv. they are more hype than performance. Get an antenna tuner that can tune twin lead.Build a 75/80 meter dipole, feed it with twin lead. Run the lead to the tuner, and with the right tuner you can tune it from 80 - 6 meter. I use an Ameritron ATR30, tunes up to 6 no problem. most MFJ roller inducter tuners will tune 6, just the meter will not work on 6 though. I am thinking of selling my ATR30, not using enough, contact me if you might want it, and I can give you a good deal.
Rich

I would suggest something rated for about twice the amount of power your radio is capable of producing. After that, it's a matter of whatever you can find or that suits you. Manual tuners take a little while to learn to use, the automatic ones take a little while for your wallet to recover from.
With a G5RV don't expect miracles, but they do work.
- 'Doc

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1131758 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

QTH.COM Ham Radio Classified Ads: Ad# 1131289 - Swap amateur radio HF VHF equipment buy sell trade on line

Here's a couple dandy's...not priced to badly
Both will give good service and will last a lifetime even at Legal Limit...

And if you have the space...this will stomp your G5RV to dust
AI4JI Doublet Antenna Page

Enjoy
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

AND FOR 6 METERS: This will work Great! Had one at 40ft for couple years...Surprised even me
http://www.hamuniverse.com/6mdipolekk5id.html

Last edited:
I've been using one of these for several years now and had no problems. Usually pretty cheap.
9861-1.jpg

If your not running more then a 100 watts then LDG line of autotners are pretty good buy. I have been using one for years now with no issues at all, even ran it in the car for a short time. They tune quick, store the freq in memory for even faster tuning but don't feed them more then the rated power or you will let the smoke out. That being said I have feed as much as 150 watts into mine by mistake and it came away working fine.

The Yt-100 is designed to work with your radio..

Oh and btw the G5RV will work fine. Is it the best? No but they do work.. remember its all about band conditions.

If your not running more then a 100 watts then LDG line of autotners are pretty good buy. I have been using one for years now with no issues at all, even ran it in the car for a short time. They tune quick, store the freq in memory for even faster tuning but don't feed them more then the rated power or you will let the smoke out. That being said I have feed as much as 150 watts into mine by mistake and it came away working fine.

The Yt-100 is designed to work with your radio..

Oh and btw the G5RV will work fine. Is it the best? No but they do work.. remember its all about band conditions.

LDG has a wider line of tuners that handle 200, 600 and 1000 watts or more.

I Am running a LDG AT-200Pro behind my FT 897D, works very well.

Jeff

That's the one that I SHOULD have bought when I got my Z-11 Pro II. Not that I don't like my Z-11, but the 200Pro handles more power, has LED readouts for SWR and power, and has an antenna switch for two antennas. If you're not going high power, this is the automatic tuner I'd pick.

Brett

Reactions: 1 person
Used to have a yaesu ft 897d along with ldg tuner maid for said radio on a g5rv antenna .it worked flawlessly on 160-6 .The tuner they make is automatically controlled by the radio you just sit back let it do its thing and enjoy the qso. .doesn't get much better then that.

Hope that helps 73.

I'm using the LDG YT-100. Made for 897D. Don't believe the g5rv haters. I have a g5rv junior (short version) up about 9 meters. It will tune 80 through 6 meters with no problem at all. Nothing wrong with a g5rv. I've talked all over the world consistently, and busted many a pileup with 100 watts. Digital with less than 10 watts also. Sure, you can't compete with the legal limit guys, but I thought the point was use the minimum amount of power to complete the QSO.

I nam running the matching bolt on LDG AT-897 on my FT-897 and am running the Yaesu FC-20 Automatic Tuner with my FT-857D both work great but the FC-20 is quieter and has 2 antenna hookups Antenna A and B that tuner will also work with the 897 if you can find one.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.