• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I need help with pricing a antenna

007_man

Apr 29, 2011
Savannah,Tennessee
Hello all. I have a moonraker 6 that I am considering selling. It is already on the ground. It is still partially put together. ALL of the hubs are still good… repeat… ALL hubs are good. Did not take the elements off to prevent possibly busting one of the hubs. It is in REALLY good shape. No rust or bent spots. Only thing you’ll need is 1 gamma match and hardware (I have 1 5k watt gamma and hardware to go with it).

I have nooo idea of what this could possibly sell for. So please someone help me. Oh yeah… I’m in Tennessee if that makes a difference

"While this antenna does work well and it is a valuable classic, the still in production Laser 400 equals its performance and surpasses it in mechanical construction. I have to disagree with the poster who said the hubs are strong. I see them as the weakest link in the antenna. If you've put a few together you begin to struggle with deciding to make the bolt tight and break the brittle cast aluminum hub or don't tighten them enough so the first good wind knocks all the elements out of alignment. This has been so problematic over the years that I've seen every attempt to prevent it from pining the hubs to the boom to jamming the tabs from beer cans between the hub and the boom."
From Mr. Shockwave

Hello all. I have a moonraker 6 that I am considering selling. It is already on the ground. It is still partially put together. ALL of the hubs are still good… repeat… ALL hubs are good. Did not take the elements off to prevent possibly busting one of the hubs. It is in REALLY good shape. No rust or bent spots. Only thing you’ll need is 1 gamma match and hardware (I have 1 5k watt gamma and hardware to go with it).

I have nooo idea of what this could possibly sell for. So please someone help me. Oh yeah… I’m in Tennessee if that makes a difference
$1,200

I originally wanted to stack my Maco v58 above this moonraker. But a fella that is obviously radio smarter than me said not a good idea with the vertical elements. I was also told I shouldn’t need a ground plane above it since it’s pretty wide ranged? I still like the idea of my ground stacked above it. Pretty bummed out that I was told I shouldn’t do so. BUT I am not totally against selling it and going with a horizontal beam to be able to achieve this.

I love local talking. Especially to the guys over a hour+ away. Long distance skip is just another thing for me, I get the thrill out of talking way off to the local guys. With that being said, what would you all recommend me to do? Keep the moonraker 6 with no ground plane… OR… horizontal beam with a ground plan above it?

Looking to be at 100’. My first ground wave is extremely noisy and looking to get away from that. Thanks everyone.

I originally wanted to stack my Maco v58 above this moonraker. But a fella that is obviously radio smarter than me said not a good idea with the vertical elements. I was also told I shouldn’t need a ground plane above it since it’s pretty wide ranged? I still like the idea of my ground stacked above it. Pretty bummed out that I was told I shouldn’t do so. BUT I am not totally against selling it and going with a horizontal beam to be able to achieve this.

I love local talking. Especially to the guys over a hour+ away. Long distance skip is just another thing for me, I get the thrill out of talking way off to the local guys. With that being said, what would you all recommend me to do? Keep the moonraker 6 with no ground plane… OR… horizontal beam with a ground plan above it?

Looking to be at 100’. My first ground wave is extremely noisy and looking to get away from that. Thanks everyone.
I am sure someone has put a vertical above the M6 before. It would take a heavy duty antenna rotor, but I believe it can be done. Maybe someone who has done it or seen it done will chime in.

I am sure someone has put a vertical above the M6 before. It would take a heavy duty antenna rotor, but I believe it can be done. Maybe someone who has done it or seen it done will chime in.
I have been looking at max gain systems. They make fiberglass rods hollow and solid of all sizes. I believe I could use that for mounting the antenna? Or maybe a ground plane with no bottom radials would pair better(Antron or imax)? Hmmmm… I do have a imax laying out there I supposed I could test this with on the ground ;)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
SERIOUSLY PEOPLE? The M-6 is basically worth nada except to the person who has what I call nauseated nostalgia and can’t get their heads out of the 60’s/70’s or other places where the sun no longer shines.

Now on a slightly more serious note the M-6 should out perform anything you’re thinking of replacing it with. You have vertical and horizontal polarization with the M-6.

How about eight I-max 2000 mounted on telephone poles all phased together!

If your goal it to talk local as far as possible I would put the beam up by itself and aim it in the direction you want vertically polarized since the majority of guys are running omni verticals anyway.. Just put up the imax or v58 on a pushup pole for monitoring..

Going to revive this thread with a question. More I read of these hubs, more question I have. As stated above, all of my hubs are still in good condition. It’s crossed my mind to sell this and get the Maco version or something very similar. Reason being is this upgraded construction the Macos have (no hubs). What would you do? Sell and go Maco? Or install in the MR and let the talking begin? This antenna be on a tower at 100’ so it’s not like it can be let down whenever with ease.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.