• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

i stopped monkeyn' around (new 10k)

dudmuck said:
I'm not sure about an antenna thats painted.

Paint would absorb RF.
And especially on the coil, skin effect means the surface conductivity of the coil is very important for performance.

I have a mobile antenna krylon painted and it is coiled .
I get the same SWR and receive before and after 2-2000 watts

paint and skin are 2 different things :p

Paint,unless it contains metal flakes or a ton of carbon particles, will not affect an antenna in the slightest. I have repainted many mobile antennas after the factory paint became pitted over the years.

Hey Bionic Texan,

Two more question, please. How many inches is your 10k predator and how long is the coax cable that comes with your quad magnet mount. ;)

Thank you, sir!

sX

the best things about those mounts, stomperX, is you just remove the coax-and mount itself-and replace it with what suits your needs! my #2 truck has a triple mag with predator lug mount, 14' of 9913....anything less just wouldn't do!

davegrantsr said:
the best things about those mounts, stomperX, is you just remove the coax-and mount itself-and replace it with what suits your needs! my #2 truck has a triple mag with predator lug mount, 14' of 9913....anything less just wouldn't do!
is there a pl-259 connection on quad mount?
why only 14 ft. of coax?

the mount came with an so239-terminated ball on it. i don't particularly care for that setup with more then a few hundred watts when running a mag mount. 2 different schools of thought on that subject, & i subscribe to the 'ring terminal is better' theory, it works for me. have to remember, though, in ANY instance, when you separate the shield from the inner conductor, you change the impedance of the coax at that point, so YES, changing coax and/or length probably WILL change SWR if you aren't extremely close to the same amount of inner conductor no longer surrounded by shield-something you should be aware of whenever you use a ring terminal. i prefer ring terminals on solid mounted antennas as well, but oxidation should be less of an issue due to the connector not being exposed to the elements, so it could be an option that way. as for 14'.....well, 14' & some inches. partially due to the fact that it reaches, & partially as it IS a 1/4 electrical wavelength at 27.025. does it REALLY matter? just remember, losses compund themselves-poor antenna, poor mount, poor ground, poor coax, high swr, etc etc etc. a 2:1 swr may be a barely noticeable percentage of power loss, but if you add in all the other probable issues in that system, it may end up a 50% total loss-or more. strive for perfection to keep losses to a minimum.

StomperX said:
Hey Bionic Texan,

Two more question, please. How many inches is your 10k predator and how long is the coax cable that comes with your quad magnet mount. ;)

Thank you, sir!

sX

the 10k is 9" lower shaft, not sure on overall length. the coax came with 17' of rg58.

Thank you, kindly ;)

BIONIC_TEXAN88 said:
StomperX said:
Hey Bionic Texan,

Thank you, sir!

sX

the 10k is 9" lower shaft, not sure on overall length. the coax came with 17' of rg58.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?