• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I think I cooked my antenna

OK I got the antenna up but I'm still seeing 1.7:1 match...I think its the crap radioshack coax I got.
when ya doing that use only ya radio and only enough dead key to fully calibrate the meter . dont say anything into mic when doing this ,in fact i turn my mic gain all way off when doing this. 1.7.1 isnt too bad but it should be a lil better though .what channel was this on?if possible a mfj 259b works the best

I'm gonna get 77' of LMR400 flex.

I noticed so far the imax has better ears, less static, even though the bandit had a A99 GP kit.
The transmit seems to be the same as the bandit was.
So maybe with some real coax, my antenna will see more power.

I wouldn't have usually use tandy cable but I sold all my CB gear, including my rg213 cause I was thinking I was doomed to living in a ****hole apartment for good.

Is there a reason for the 77ft. of coax? If not. Get a bit more then you need for service and drip loops. Helps keep water out. See the photo below for what I am speaking of. Just some food for thought is all.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 9
You only need an electrically tuned 1/2 wave coax jumper cut to desired frequency to tune your antenna. Or a multiple of it. After that you can use what reaches from point A to B. Just some food for thought. If this wasn't true, then how do people use different lengths of coax for their setups? Ones that aren't multiples of an electrically tuned 1/2 wave coax jumper made for desired frequency? Again. Just some food for thought.
Best way to tune antenna is to get it up about 10ft off the ground or so and away from any and all obstructions and connect directly to the feedpoint of the antenna. If this isn't possible then the use of what I stated above will need to be used. And like I said, after this has been done, use what reaches from radio to antenna with a drip loop and service loop as well. JMHO's. Hope all works out for you with the new coax. And be safe working by yourself!!!

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
I have several pieces of cheap RG-8X coax made up into 1/2 wavelengths for each of the amateur bands to tune antennas with. I use 1 1/2 wavelengths on 6m due to the sorter wavelength. I tuned them with my MFG-269 analyzer and i use that analyzer to tune the antennas with before installation. Once the antennas are installed I simply run coax from the feedpoint to the shack without measuring.

i tune my antenna with a mfj259b directly feed to antenna

You can't reliably tune some antennas when they are on the ground and you can't reach things if you are on a tower. I put mine up on a short temporary pole or stand it on its end with the reflector on the ground and stand back to take a reading to eliminate body effect stray capacitance . It makes a huge difference on VHF.

Reactions: 222DBFL
CK it took me a while to see the light, but once you do, things become very clear as far as antenna tuning goes. Makes a big difference doing it the right way!!

CK it took me a while to see the light, but once you do, things become very clear as far as antenna tuning goes. Makes a big difference doing it the right way!!

Don't feel bad. It took me a while to see the light as well but when I did I had to beat my head against the tower and ask myself why it took so long. (y)

Reactions: 222DBFL
Same here man!! It truly is something that until you try it, you won't believe it!! Or most would say that anyway. I've had guys argue with me that once you tune with the electrically 1/2 wave coax jumper that the antenna will be tuned for that specific piece of coax ONLY!! They just can't get it!! And these are guys that claim to be techs and engineers. It got to the point I had my account removed on another forum due to it!! Some people just don't want to hear things if you don't have a degree or something LOL!!!

You can't reliably tune some antennas when they are on the ground and you can't reach things if you are on a tower. I put mine up on a short temporary pole or stand it on its end with the reflector on the ground and stand back to take a reading to eliminate body effect stray capacitance . It makes a huge difference on VHF.
mines not on the ground. its on a 2foot tripod and 5 foot pole. yes i know very low but it works IF my swr changes when i go higher it always goes down.of course this is with just a 5/8 groundplane. never had a beam so idk. but i have heard many tuning there beams as you described

its raining and my swr went up to 2.5
never had an imax do this before

has anyone ever contacted solarcon for a replacement?
1 thing that bothers me is the so239 plate was not crimped properly and wiggles a bit.

everythings made cheap and crappy these days

Last edited:
If it's new, make sure no water penetrated into the feed point connector. If it came in from anything other than bad weather proofing, take photos of it before you remove your weather proof to prove this. And send it back or call them. That thing isn't that old is it? I would think they have some type or warranty. Also check around the tip area for any water entry or even moisture. That is all it really takes to make things go crazy. I am sure you know about proper weather proofing so I won't even go there. But you should have to take it down either way correct to send it back. See what it looks like today and also record that as well if any changes appear when it dries. Could have water in it, nothing is impossible that is for sure!! Hope you get it fixed, and make sure to document all of it well! JMHO. Hope things look up. Have a good day, or try to at least!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated