• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom 745 radio ?

radioreddz

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Nov 20, 2005
so. maryland
Is the Icom 745 a good radio. do they have any systematic problems that are expencive fixes or problematic quirks. is $400.00 a good price for a mint unit. i just want it to talk SSb. been using a 2950Dx for SSb freebanding i want a base station that will be better,but a real HF. rig.

Although i have never used that model
I can say
Is far more likely the Icom will do much better
It will not be a splater box like your 2950DX

Ham radios (not just Icom) are usally far better
I started off freebanding with the 706 MKIIG ssb
did excellent

your 2950dx is a ok radio
do yourself a favor and step up
you will not regret it

then you can always get your ticket

radioredzz,
The icom ic 745 is a good mid level rig and sell between $350 to $450.
Some common problems with most icoms of that era is the trimmer caps,make sure they have recently been replaced. But if they haven't it is usually an easy fix.

Also the 745 is know for cold solder joints. And last would be the RAM battery if it goes dead the entire radio is as well,however they do make an after market RAM board which will in the event the battery dies the radio will still work but you will lose all your memory.

73' Novakor

radioredzz,
The icom ic 745 is a good mid level rig and sell between $350 to $450.
Some common problems with most icoms of that era is the trimmer caps,make sure they have recently been replaced. But if they haven't it is usually an easy fix.

Also the 745 is know for cold solder joints. And last would be the RAM battery if it goes dead the entire radio is as well,however they do make an after market RAM board which will in the event the battery dies the radio will still work but you will lose all your memory.

73' Novakor
is that a costly repair for the RAM board and how frequent is tha ta problem. in the Icom line which is the most reliable midlevel unit with out the cold solder joint problems and RAM battery problem. also that price of $350 & $450 is tha ta price for that rig new or is it the used average price. thanks.

radioreddz,
Let me start off by saying the prices i quoted you are approxmate and are for used market as these radios are no longer in prodution. Now i'm going to set you up with 1 link. MTS is the Icom geru and will only work with licensed amateurs, There is also enough info on his site that may be able to help you. When you pull up his site scroll down and click on "updates and help" Then scroll down until you see "finally!" from there just read on for parts and labor cost.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz2/mts/

I have a 745 and It has always ran good and enjoyed the rig allot over the years
keeps running despite my many attempts to kill it ,I have gotten the smoke to come
out of the finals I think it must have been the emitter resistors as I unplugged it
and restarted and no problem had a strange impedance on the tuner that caused
the smoke!!! ps. this radio only receives am does not transmit am
rick

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.