• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM HM -219 Hand mic smokes the HM-36

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
My HM-36 that came with my 7410 is junk. Got reports of a loud rushing sound when I keyed up. The newer ICOM HM-36's are complete rubbish. I bought a new HM-219 from R&L and it's a huge improvement. It's on the small side, but fits my hand well. It has a solid feel and a nice heft. It resonds nicely to my rigs transmit audio adjustments. It doesn't need any Bob Nagy hacks, either.

I bet it would match up nicely with an Optima mobile. Sold mine, so can't try it.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/ico-hm-219

Reactions: camaro1

I had both Japan and China made HM-36. 1 was way better than the other. I forget which was good. Loved mine on the Optima. I was going to try Bob Nagy stuff but sold the radio.

I bought a used 7200 off eBay. The previous owner had the the stock HM-36 mic sent to Bob. It was a definite improvement. I should have kept that mic when I sold the 7200.

I think he will only mod the original HM-36. The newer versions, he won't touch. He describes how to tell which version you have, so you don't send the junky one. ICOM is lame packing a junk mic with a decent radio.

Recent HM-36 is well known crap: http://www.northland-drifters.net/HM36.htm
Mike

I think there are now clones of clones. Look on eBay, some are selling for $11 shipped. I believe I have one of them. I haven't opened it up, but it really feels way cheaper than previous ones. I can't use it on my 7410. It's way hot. If I barely crack my mic gain, it picks up everything and broadcasts a loud rushing sound. I bought an extra HM-219 just to have. It'll probably be cloned, too.

Reactions: Woody-202
I will agree,, I picked up an hm-219 just after the 7300's came out and have been using it on my 7410 and 7200 and nothing but great results

My new NOS 7410 is probably the best radio I've had. Gives my 590SG a run for for the money. The NB is rather spectacular. Looking at the used prices of them, they are a good buy. Lot of features for the money.

I'm selling my 590 and staying with the 7410.

Reactions: camaro1
I never use a hand microphone on any base radio or any radio used in my shack.I use an ICOM SM-8 with my ICOM 821H & ICOM 2820H & a RED HEIL FIN with my ICOM 7600 as well an a HEIL iCM on my ICOM 746.My TYT TH-9000 has a desk microphone on it that I found on eBay that was designed for s wide variety of the Chinese made radios.I use one on my 40 plus D-104's on all of my CB Radios.

SIX-SHOOTER

yes, the 7410 is a great rig,, when it came out it was around $2000 then it slowly went down in price over the years,, I have seen several posts on other sites that it is a better rig than the 7300 ,, but the 7300 has more bling bling appeal with the fancy color touch screen

I had a 7300. I just didn't like it. Yeah, the scope and waterfall is useful. The 7410 has a tap point for an SDR. It had so much bling, that it looked hokey. It's a small radio, which makes it cornball looking. The 9700 is dorky, too. As cheap as the 7300's are becoming, especially used, ICOM should discontinue the 718 and replace with the 7300.

yes, the 7410 is a great rig,, when it came out it was around $2000 then it slowly went down in price over the years,, I have seen several posts on other sites that it is a better rig than the 7300 ,, but the 7300 has more bling bling appeal with the fancy color touch screen

The Touch Screen is why I would never consider a 7300 or any transceiver with one if I am required to keep and use it I would refuse them for FREE.I hate smudges and fingerprints on my.radio screen and I have no use for any radio that requires me to keep touching the screen for any purpose.I will keep my ICOM 7600,ICOM 746 & ICOM 821H and buy used ICOM transceivers in the future if that’s all that ICOM keeps building.If so I will never buy another New transceiver.

SIX-SHOOTER

I thought about picking up another 7410 or 9100 for backup. The more expensive rigs with touchscreens are of no interest to me, except for their receivers. None of the added bells and whistles are needed for the way I operate.

It's OK, but no FM, no filters, AGC is miserable. The 718 would puke next to a 7300. If they dropped the price on the 718, or add a filter, then I'd love it more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.