• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Icom IC-7410 export radio arrives. Its long, its heavy.

jdobbs2001

Mar 20, 2012
What will be my base station arrives. This radio is quite heavy almost twice the weight of the IC-7200 which will be the Jeep radio/mobile or field use.

It is very long so it sticks upfront and it does take up quite a bit of space on the desk so if your thinking of one, make sure it will fit comfortably on the desk. This is a place and leave type radio not what I would use for field day etc.. IC-7200 is a better radio for that.

They ship them in a double box setup to prevent damage since it is a heavy radio.

I ordered it and it came ready to operate, both roofing filters installed, etc..

Plugged in, wired up took little time and programming channels was a cinch. Just go to VFO mode, tune, press MW, tune up the next, press MW on the next channel etc.. Simple.

Audio is booming compared to the small IC-7200 speaker (But IC-7200 audio is really good, just different no t HiFi sounding like 7410)

NB/NR is the same quality as the IC-7200 maybe a bit better But the Radio noise floor is lower than the IC-7200 not a huge amount but it is lower.

I typically use the 9Khz IF DSP filter with 15khz roofing filter for AM use.

for SSB I use 3Khz IF DSP filter with 3Khz roofing filter for LSB ch 38 operation.

I really like the huge numbers/screen with big numbers. Easy to read and having things like Po/ALC and SWR all one one screen is nice.

I tested the Tuner, its a nice tool to flatten out SWR a bit it works quick although I dont usually use it yet, but its nice having it there.

What the IC-7410 gets (with the roofing filters) 800 dollars more in total (ie 7200 = 800 vs 7410 1600 bucks)

#1 3 roofing filters to work with

#2 FM (due to 15khz roofing filter) you can transmit wide or narrow FM

#3 Antenna tuner which if you had to buy one would be like 200 bucks for the 7200

#4 second antenna connection, so you can have a lowband antenna and highband antenna and use the tuner to flatten the SWR if needed. ( ie 1/4 wave 20meter band antenna, 1/4 11/10 meter band)

#5 things like SSB TX bandwidth adjustment, TX Bass/treble adjustment

#6 BIG Screen easy operation but the radio takes up space.

#7 Strong tough front-end IP3 of 30dbm

#8 more sensitive receiver with lower noise floor for pulling stuff out of the mud and higher dynamic range makes it a capable radio for such use when near stronger signals.

I like this radio its great for working SSB.

If your primary AM operator with the occasional SSB, I would recommend the IC-7200 over the 7410 since it would provide everything you need.

The 7410 for 800 bucks more gets you a beast of a radio it is for the SSB DX folks with the extra roofing filters etc..

I will be putting it through its paces

Why do you refer to it as an export radio when in fact it is an amateur radio?

Having a little fun, Don't they call the Galaxy amateur radios "Exports" :)

Anyhow this is my favorite optimal setting for listening/monitoring CB channels.

---------------------------
Roofing filter of 3khz
AM filter of 4.6khz
---------------------------
That filter setting wipes out the adjacent splatter-boxes, and the 3khz roofing filter rolls off and attenuates splatter-box RF before it enters the IF DSP side. Nice cleaner audio and signals in the mud pop out nicely.

RX bass to -2
RX Treble +2

Noise Reduction of 3
Noise Blanker on, at middle of knob setting (6) I have this weird engine motorboat type noise in my vicinity. The ICOMS wipe that noise out via the NB. NB is optional, you only need it if you have such electrical interference in your area.

Don't they call the Galaxy amateur radios "Exports

They are called "exports" because they aren't FCC approved radios and are supposed to be exported out of the US (hence the name export) and not sold here and some other countries as well. Real Amateur radios such as the Icoms, Kenwoods, Yeasu's, are FCC approved and are in a class way above those so-called "export amateur radios".

The Icom 7410 is a fine radio but that's A lot of money to spend on a radio if your an unlicensed operator and can't use it except on 1 band.

So your torture testing the 7410's receiver by monitoring the CB channels?

Think about it, whats the best band to properly test a receiver. CB is the perfect band to test out those fancy components designed to fight QRM.

On another note. How come so many 10 meter radios sell but when you go to 10 meters its dead. You would think with all those 10meter Galaxy amateur radios selling that 10 meters would be crowded.

Think about it, whats the best band to properly test a receiver. CB is the perfect band to test out those fancy components designed to fight QRM.

On another note. How come so many 10 meter radios sell but when you go to 10 meters its dead. You would think with all those 10meter Galaxy amateur radios selling that 10 meters would be crowded.

If i really wanted to test a receiver i would tune 80m in the evening and see how it stands up to the meter pinners. Either that or tune thru the 31m SW band for more of the same. CB is about the last band I would use. It is virtually dead except for some DX and the shitty 30+ KHz wide signals centered around ch. 6.

Reactions: Mudfoot and RatsoW8

You know as well as I do that those "10meter Galaxy amateur radios " are not amateur radios at all but in reality a CB with expanded range. You can prove that by testing where the RX and TX is peaked at. It ain't peaked at 28.5-29.0 MHz.

If i really wanted to test a receiver i would tune 80m in the evening and see how it stands up to the meter pinners. Either that or tune thru the 31m SW band for more of the same. CB is about the last band I would use. It is virtually dead except for some DX and the shitty 30+ KHz wide signals centered around ch. 6.

Funny you mention superbowl 6. Yeah the 7410 impressed me when I set the 4.6/3 filter and channel 5 and 7 were quiet :) That impressed me.

I have tested it on all bands, its a solid radio really good recieve I would say the best bang for the buck in the entire ICOM base range, they are selling for 1,375 dollars. (Thanks to the weak yen)

I have tested it on all bands, its a solid radio really good recieve I would say the best bang for the buck in the entire ICOM base range,

Maybe so, but you have to buy additional roofing filters since it only comes with a 15KHz. For SSB QRM a 3KHz filter is more helpful.

You should read Eham.com reviews and read the issues on this radio that Icom hasn't addressed.

I prefer the Kenwood TS 590.

I used to be a big Icom fan. I was leaning towards the Yaesu FTDX-1200 or 3000 but after doing a lot of researching I'm finding the Kenwood TS-590SG is the better rig in it's price range.

I used to be a big Icom fan. I was leaning towards the Yaesu FTDX-1200 or 3000 but after doing a lot of researching I'm finding the Kenwood TS-590SG is the better rig in it's price range.

590SG has better ears than the FTDX-1200.

I myself like the 7410 but everyone has their liking. I am comfortable operating it and it has a bombproof front end :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.