• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM Response to IC-7610 owners with Screen Rention Defect

Good to hear the 7610 doesn't spike.

I've been eyeballing that radio since it came out. Admittedly because I like the look and the layout.

My 590SG is hard to beat for the price and performance. It's just not a pretty radio!

I think the 590 series are good looking. I even like the 570 flavors. If the 590SG had a working NB, it would still be sitting in front of me. The 7610 NB is fantastic.

I have PLN here and the 7610 handles it nicely without distortion. The NB on my ELAD is even better than the 7610. I got it after reading various reviews about the NB. Everyone was right. It's without a doubt, the best I've owned.

The 7610 would be sweeter if they allowed the mouse to function within the entire display. As big as the screen is, I see no reason to attach an external monitor. If you like the cool factor or are visually impaired, then it's nice to have.

Got an email from Icom. It says my radio is on its way back. They sent me a certificate good for $100 off my next purchase. Must he used within 90 days.

I don't see any account information on my UPS, FedEx or USPS. I doubt it has been shipped yet.

Hopefully all is well with the 7610 but from day One I have said I will never own a touch screen radio.I will just buy Used gear as I have been doing.I am more than pleased with my ICOM 7600,ICOM 746,ICOM 910H,ICOM 821H,ICOM 2820H,ICOM T90A & several others & none of them have a touch screen.If any of them fail & can't be repaired I will replace it with another Used ICOM that does not as well.

SIX-SHOOTER

Last edited:
Reactions: Mudfoot
Touchscreens are in so many products now. I'm satisfied with their performance. Look at the smartphones. Ones I've owned have seen tortuous use and keep on ticking. Of course, ham rigs are new to the party. I think things will be alright. Touch screens are so handy and useful.

Reactions: Blackcat630
Got my 7610 back today. The screen is bright and vivid. Huge change over the defective screen that was dull and milky, not to mention image burn in. Given the current virus crap, the turnaround time was more than adequate. They said the service department was staffed with a skeleton crew.

The return shipping sucked. Prior to scheduling for the warranty repair, Icom sent affected owners a letter detailing how the radio should be packaged for shipment. It was to be double boxed with packaging that allowed space between boxes. I did exactly how I was instructed. Well! They just sent it back in a different box, which was a snug fit. FedEx has a leaky truck. It rained all day. When I got the box, it was soaked all the way thru to the interior box and all soggy. Rig was in sealed plastic bag which saved it.

Just thought it was odd that they didn't adhere to their shipping requirements. Just glad that it's all over. If I decide to sell it later, I won't take a hit on price due to cruddy display. The 7610 is truly a superb radio.

Touchscreens are in so many products now. I'm satisfied with their performance. Look at the smartphones. Ones I've owned have seen tortuous use and keep on ticking. Of course, ham rigs are new to the party. I think things will be alright. Touch screens are so handy and useful.
Probably 90% or better of the people who only smart phone do not keep it nearly as long as most people would keep a radio. When those screens fail out of warranty they will be expensive to replace if you can find them since the companies stop supporting them within one year of them no longer being sold or built.

SIX-SHOOTER

Hopefully all is well with the 7610 but from day One I have said I will never own a touch screen radio.I will just buy Used gear as I have been doing.I am more than pleased with my ICOM 7600,ICOM 746,ICOM 910H,ICOM 821H,ICOM 2820H,ICOM T90A & several others & none of them have a touch screen.If any of them fail & can't be repaired I will replace it with another Used ICOM that does not as well.

SIX-SHOOTER

Well my ICOM 7700,ICOM 9100,& ICOM PW-1 and lots more were taken out by a random lightning strike 5 weeks ago Today and I have found that parts for the 7700 are not an easy find.I have a technician who is rebuilding each component and having some success but he even says he would not be surprised if once he’s done that other components will fail because of the strike.I am ordering a New 7610 as much as I Hate a Touch Screen Radio and I purchased a Three Pack of Stylus’s so I don’t need to actually touch the screen with my fingers.If I don’t like it I will sell it and buy another used radio that doesn’t have a touch screen.I see lots of people online talking about the external monitor no longer working suddenly? It doesn’t affect the actual radio just the external display feature.

W4KVW

SIX-SHOOTER
I stand corrected. It appears my ICOM 7700 may not get repaired so I will have a NEW ICOM 7610 Tomorrow to go with the New 9100 I purchased last week.Parts are not an easy find for the 7700.My New to my ICOM PW-1 will also be here Tomorrow.I will have the radios and amplifier but I’m not sure when the New tower and antennas will be going up right now? It could be a couple of months so I will have some learning time with the 7610 as I use it with the Antron 99 until they are up. I’m Completely starting over at home other than the ICOM 2730a and the Diamond V2000a.First the Lightning Strike and 6 weeks later the Hurricane.It’s just stuff so I’m not stressing over it.It’s not Life & Death and nobody was injured and even the roof of my shack was not damaged by the tower and antennas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.