• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ICOM Response to IC-7610 owners with Screen Rention Defect

Mudfoot

Elmer
Jun 17, 2009
Southeast Ohio
Message received from Mr. Ray Novak today, March 17, 2020.

IC-7610 DISPLAY

Warranty Repair Notice

Customers, dealers, and service departments reported a condition with the IC-7610’s LCD module. This condition is called “Image Retention”, which is similar to the “Burn-in” that would occur with CRT displays. This is a random issue, meaning this condition will not occur in every LCD module. The “Image Retention” issue happens within 4 months of use, so if the display shows no signs of image retention after 6 months, then chance of failure are low. This only affected certain production runs from the display supplier. The fix for this issue is a display replacement. Icom sourced a new display from a new supplier to eliminate chances of reoccurrence in the replacement displays and in current production radios.

We will perform warranty repairs on radios with the “Image Retention” issue on an appointment only basis at the Kirkland, WA repair center. Setup appointments via email or call to our Icom America Service department starting Monday, March 16, 2020.

• Email: Service@...
• Phone: (800) 306-1380
The following information is required upon contacting us:
• Name
• 7610 Serial number
• Email address
• Phone number

We will send a confirmation email confirming details along with a Service Request Form. Appointments will be made on a first come, first serviced basis. To be fair to everyone with the IC-7610 Image Retention issue, there will not be an expedited process. Please ship all radios to the Kirkland, WA Repair Facility a few days prior to the appointment date to ensure the radio is available for the scheduled appointment time. If for some reason a radio is not available for repair at the scheduled time, all efforts will be made to get the radio into the next possible timeslot. Please do not send in your radio without a scheduled appointment as this will delay the repair of your radio.

Date: 03/17/2020 | Volume: 20:12

©2019 Icom America Inc. The Icom logo is a registered trademark of Icom Inc.
AMATEUR | salesbulletin

Icom America will only repair under warranty radios exhibiting this issue. Those wanting their display replaced as a precautionary measure will be issued an estimate for the replacement cost as a non-warranty repair. We will honor an extended warranty period for radios with the original display.

In accordance to our warranty policy, shipment costs of the radio to the Icom Repair Facility is at the cost of the radio owner and Icom America will return the radios via ground shipping at no charge to the customer.

Thank you for your trust in Icom, Icom products, and most importantly, your patience while we worked through the process of finding a new display vendor after the original vendor went out of business.

Packing your radio:

We see several radios sent in for repair damaged due to improper packaging. We highly advise using Icom’s recommended packaging instructions for safe delivery to Icom America.

They have my radio after spending $127 to get it there. It arrived yesterday and my appointment is on the 6th to change the screen. They sent an email today stating they have a skeleton crew, but will try to work on them. I hope they can at least get mine fixed and shipped. If not, hard to tell how long before I do.

I probably should have waited until this virus crap is over, if it ever will be.

Got an email from Icom. It says my radio is on its way back. They sent me a certificate good for $100 off my next purchase. Must he used within 90 days.

I don't see any account information on my UPS, FedEx or USPS. I doubt it has been shipped yet.

Sorry you had problems with that radio. Hopefully that's a true fix and not just a replacement like they say.

I'm still leary about all these nice looking color touch screens on the new rigs holding up over time. Eventually these will be come legacy radio's and parts will be scarce.

At least Icom does provide a video out display to a monitor so you won't end up with a expensive paper weight.

On my IC-7000, I turn all the LCD/LED down to extend the life of the display. I use a cheap 7 inch LCD monitor used for backup cameras. This is ideal for mobile use anyway because the screen is so small and I rarely look at it.

I would suggest doing the same if you have the desktop space in your shack. 24" monitors are plentiful and fairly inexpensive these days.

The original display vendor went bankrupt. The early screen replacements had a certain amount that developed the same issue. The current screens are from a new source. The engineers stated that the issue would appear within 4 months. They claimed if it didn't, then it was a good screen and would not be under warranty replacement. I thought that was a bold statement. They mentioned display settings had no impact either way on this issue surfacing. From many internet posts I've read, it looks like less than half are affected.

Early on, Icom said defective screens would be replaced, even out of warranty. Once they determined the screen would be OK, if it didn't develop the retention issue within 4 months, then your SOL. Moments ago, I got shipping info that it'll be here Monday. I'm glad it's over. If I decide to sell and get something else (very likely) I don't have to worry about taking a loss with the screen issue.

It is a very nice unit. I hope they fix a few things with FW before they lose interest in it. The screen, when working right, is very nice.

Icom proved again, that they are trustworthy company.
Keep up good work guys.
Mike

Not completely,

Many of their radio's have ALC spikes and Icom refuses to fix it or acknowledge it at least that's the claim I read. My 7000 occasionally spikes.

Kenwood admitted theirs on the 590S and fixed them even out of warranty.

Not completely,

Many of their radio's have ALC spikes and Icom refuses to fix it or acknowledge it at least that's the claim I read. My 7000 occasionally spikes.

Kenwood admitted theirs on the 590S and fixed them even out of warranty.

My IC-9100 would spike when the processor was on. I remember reading QST, in their review, said it didn't. I believe the IC-7410 had same thing said about it. I didn't own an amp when I had my 590S.

I recall someone stating the 7610 had spikes. I haven't noticed. When I owned my 590S and was selling it on eBay. I had a guy ask me if I sent it in for the fix. I wasn't even aware of the issue. I updated my listing to state it was stock. Funny thing, even after that that radio sold close to what I paid for it. It was one of my better eBay sells. Crazy world, at times.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.