• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Idea for hooking up radio in the truck. Need advice.

8113 Northern MN

Aug 9, 2013
Virginia,MN
I have my base set up for quick and easy disconnect and connect so I can use it when Im out in the truck. Problem is, I can literally watch my voltage meter swing when Im keying up and talking with the linear running. My alternator just cant handle the amperage its pulling.

I have two Powerverter PV400 (http://datasheets.globalspec.com/ds/2371/TelephoneStuff/9311D55C-F960-4B8E-9318-F832D6573265) and was thinking I could easily just hook this up and then hook up one of my extra base station power supplies with the Linear hooked up to that. Perhaps this would not have as much draw on the battery and put more pressure on the Inverter instead of the alternator.

So, anyone every attempt this or know of anyone who has done it successfully?

Hmm, where to start.
Those are inverters, which are not 100% efficient, then use a PS which is not efficient. Basically losing more power.
If it was me, I would start with at least 8 gauge wire coming off of your alternator to the battery, keeping the wire short as practical. (think of a water hose, bigger diameter the more water through it). The power wires for the radio system I would keep them short as possible as well, both sides fused at the battery end. Or go barefoot or smaller amp. :whistle:

I have a very large audio system already in my truck running 2 Gauge wire from the battery to the hookups. Inline there is a 70 AMP fuse on each line. I understand the power inverter power loss issue and Id be okay sacrificing power at the Power Supply and the Inverter over lights nearly cutting out lol.

Then ditch the amp.You will not be happy on your quest for "more power" Remember the first 100 watts are your biggest improvement, 300-500 is not seen as much more on the receive end needle.

Reactions: falkor923
While I do shoot occasional skip in the mobile the main reason is for local contacts. I live in an Iron Ore mining area conveniently called the Iron Range of Minnesota. Between all of the communities here are many many man made mountains of pure Iron Ore rock. Communicating over just a few miles outside of town while mobile gets next to impossible without the help of a huge base antenna, thus the need for more power.

aaronjbrown_1398628472_5941478250_6ed126c972_z.jpg

Reactions: 357magnum
If it was me, regardless of amp or not, I would ditch that antenna for a stainless whip and good quality coax. Then if needed I would improve the power source in the truck.

Install an extra battery just for your radio, I just fail to understand the need for a stereo sys you can hear 3 blocks away with speakers less than 3 ft from your ear. makes my hearing aides buzz just thinking about it.

Install an extra battery just for your radio, I just fail to understand the need for a stereo sys you can hear 3 blocks away with speakers less than 3 ft from your ear. makes my hearing aides buzz just thinking about it.
Dual battery can help a lot as well. That's my next upgrade on my truck.

I have had people talk to me about using a whip but the only way i would be able to install it is on the ball hitch and that gets used alot pulling trailers with wood or the 4wheeler. My rear door also gets used alot. I refuse to cut a hole in my truck to mount anywhere on the sides. So a whip is out of the question for me. Im left with only a mag mounted antenna.

Ive thought of replacing the Alternator with a higher quality one but was unsure of how big to go. This was an idea thrown together looking at the stuff I had laying around!

I run a whip off of the top edge of my box, while I don't have a cap on yet I am ready with my mount. I made my mount from 1/8 SS that's 4" wide and is bolted into the pocket with a plate. I use a three fold cover right now but plan to have a cap soon. Should be no change in the mount. If you want, I'll go snap a picture of it.

Reactions: 357magnum and Bundy

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.