• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you had to pick a 40 SSB CB BASE purely on asthetics what would you choose?

The DAK X is Hands Down the best looking CB Radio EVER produced by anyone. When those 4 Big Meters are lit up along with all of the small lights for the toggle switches nothing comes close. It's also not Chrome but Brushed Aluminum. It was the last CB Base I ever owned & mine had never been molested other than the microphone plug being changed to a 4 pin Cobra plug. I have owned dozens & dozens of base CB's in my life & it outperformed all of them including the Browning MK V & D201A's I had owned. All other Base CB's Dream of being so BEAUTIFUL.
+1111111111

Remember, FCC type accepted SSB base CB - No exports or modded Bases.

I have had a lot of FCC 40ch SSB bases but "purely on asthetics" it is the DAK X.

Six Shooter is right. Those 4 big meters and all the smaller lights put it over the top. Thick Brushed Aluminum 3U face and knobs - looks like a piece of high end rack mount audio gear. Watching those big needles dance is hypnotic. Turn the lights off and fall in love - sexy as hell.

Not the best performing (it could be modded and if done correctly, that would help it considerably TX wise with plate modulated audio) but the knock-off Cybernet chassis has it's limitations.

IMO, measurably, the best performing and definitely the best built FCC 40ch SSB base would be the CPI 2000 w/ BC2000. Talk about a radio ahead of it's time...

Every component was 1978 top of the line, best that money could buy. Gold leg Motorola transistors throughout, audiophile electrolytics, switches, IC's everywhere, stud mount flange driver and final, large shielded inductors, hardly any point to point wiring, double sided circuit board, etc. No expense was spared. The best wave soldering I have ever seen. Overall spec wise, no FCC approved CB has touched it in the last 45 years IMHO.

The only thing I have done on my 2, is remove the RCA Plugs and soldered the coax jumpers directly to the circuit board.

Aesthetic Honorable Mentions - ARF2001, SBE Console VI, Stoner Pro 40, Cobra 2000, GE Superbase, Royce 642

just my .02

Last edited:
This one, the Dragon SS-497P. Because when I was a kid starting out with CB, it was way out of reach. (You can put it in 40CH mode so I guess it counts.) Now I have a few of them and I still think they are awesome (even with their various issues and quirks) :)

73ss497P.jpg

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.