• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

If you were a pirate broadcaster, what's playing right now?

This 1956 version (with composer Juan Tizol and with Buddy Rich) ain’t no slouch either. More Ellington-esque

Only Sinatra had as good an ear (and consistently as high a standard) as Harry James.

I highly recommend the Hefti album from the first link. It’ll grow on you (quickly). Recorded in a single night, circa 1961.

Nelson Riddle arrangements for Frank Sinatra.
Neal Hefti arrangements for Harry James.

Can’t go wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman and WECSOG

Here’s a few from the 1961, “ Sinatra’s Swingin’ Sessions”.

Sinatra got the best of everything. (Harry didn’t)
The recording quality would be hard to top today.
One is present in Studio A at Capitol Records.

Re-masters (SACD) make an old familiar record seem new.

Reactions: WECSOG
1362FE4B-F3BF-45C6-9DFD-D3A9347E258A.jpeg

While the recording isn’t par (unlike the 1976 DtD Sheffield Lab recording you linked), there’s no better playing to be found.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tallman and WECSOG
When I had still had my horn I would play this in the town square at the start of Mardigras season. Me and the other guys had our coordinated moves common to the time and we would celebrate this tune with a relish that only a musical artist can do. You have seen the real artist eyes well up with tears when they sing or play a tune that has sentimental meaning to them. You have artist and you have technicians. Technicians play from their sheet music perfectly as it is written.
The artist plays from his heart and soul and it lends the music life and soul to its performance. This was my theme song for years.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.