• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

I'm new here...

Steve H

Oct 31, 2010
I see alot of talk about the Wilson 1000 antennas.

I have Wilson 500, hooked up to a Cobra 29 ltd. in a car. It does pretty good, and my swr is about 1.3 on channels 1 and 40, and dips to close to 1.1 on 19. I know that the Wilson 1000 is supposed to be awesome, but does the increase in antenna height make that much of a difference? I don't want to bump trees and drive-through roofs. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Pesonally I think the 1000 is for more wattage ( like running a linear ) the 500 should be fine for what you are doing. Thats basically it, it depends on what YOU are trying to for you purposes.

T23

1k is an excellent antenna and the 5k is even better for receive and tx.

I don't see how the 5k would be better? It's my understanding that the 5k is the 1k, just with a thicker coil to handle more watts / heat.

They're still like a -4.5 dBd loss coil loaded antenna.

I'll stick to my 0 dBd loss 96" fiberglass whip.... :laugh:

I'd go with the W1000 over the W500. The W500 has a little smaller whip, which leads me to believe it has a bigger coil, which would mean MORE LOSS than the W1000/W5000.

I don't see how the 5k would be better? It's my understanding that the 5k is the 1k, just with a thicker coil to handle more watts / heat.

They're still like a -4.5 dBd loss coil loaded antenna.

I'll stick to my 0 dBd loss 96" fiberglass whip.... :laugh:

I'd go with the W1000 over the W500. The W500 has a little smaller whip, which leads me to believe it has a bigger coil, which would mean MORE LOSS than the W1000/W5000.
I suppose if you have no actual experience with either then I don't expect you would see how it would be better.

There is a noticeable performance increase with the W1000/5000 over the smaller W500 in both TX and RX. I've used both, FWIW.

I appreciate all of the answers, everyone. One thing is for sure: I can't put an eight-foot whip on my car. I do alot of driving and cb talking around town, and there are too many trees here for that.:eek:

I'm pretty satisfied with the combination of the cobra 29l ltd, astatic microphone, and Wilson 500. I'll probably just leave it be. Thanks again.;)

i gotta wilson 5k on my mini van it dont hit trees ...unless there already hanging low..lol
the 5k is 14 inches longer .its 62 inches .were the 500 is 48 inces.if your not
planning on running a amp or talking dx then the 500 is a great antenna
for just around town.

I suppose if you have no actual experience with either then I don't expect you would see how it would be better.

Placebo effect? Just because you pay more, does not make a product better for your intended use.

I can't put an eight-foot whip on my car. I do alot of driving and cb talking around town, and there are too many trees here for that.:eek:

Why not? I rather enjoy beating the piss out of all low hanging trees with my large fiberglass 1/4 wave antenna. :D

If you want performance, they can't be beat!

W500 to W1000/5000, the gain will be very minimal. Although you would notice that your receive would be more sensitive.

Placebo effect? Just because you pay more, does not make a product better for your intended use.
Still no technical proof to dispute my claims from you and I still have the experience of using both on the same vehicle to satisfy me.:love:

Why not? I rather enjoy beating the piss out of all low hanging trees with my large fiberglass 1/4 wave antenna. :D

If you want performance, they can't be beat!

W500 to W1000/5000, the gain will be very minimal. Although you would notice that your receive would be more sensitive.

Why didn't you just opt for the full 102'' whip made of steel which everyone knows that is the standard of comparison.

Why didn't you just opt for the full 102'' whip made of steel which everyone knows that is the standard of comparison.

Because the 96" of fiberglass-dipped copper whip is the same thing, except less flexible, meaning, less SWR-tennis while I drive. It's still a straight 1/4 wave radiator with no loading coil.

I'm merely saying the W1000 and W5000 are the same antenna. Any gain you may "sense" is beyond that of the ability of your mind to even comprehend. It's not worth the extra money.

Although the W500 and the W1000/W5000 are definitely NOT the same.

Because the 96" of fiberglass-dipped copper whip is the same thing, except less flexible, meaning, less SWR-tennis while I drive. It's still a straight 1/4 wave radiator with no loading coil.

I'm merely saying the W1000 and W5000 are the same antenna. Any gain you may "sense" is beyond that of the ability of your mind to even comprehend. It's not worth the extra money.

Although the W500 and the W1000/W5000 are definitely NOT the same.

The better choice of antennas where swr variations are concerned due to antenna movement would be a Predator 10-k for it's vertical stability and in real world tests shows no decernable differences on a rx meter but does show much more stable swr readings and is shorter in stature which results in less damage to flora and fawn a.:whistle:

I stay away from fiberglass antennas for one reason: years ago, I had a fiberglass antenna on a mobile cb, and the very thin metal whip in the fiberglass broke INSIDE THE FIBERGLASS, but the fiberglass itself remained intact. So the swr went off the scale without the antenna showing any outside damage. I don't know about the full 1/4 wave fiberglass antennas, but the smaller one that I had certainly had a little hair-thin whip in it. I'm not an expert, but I'm not going that route again.

i gotta wilson 5k on my mini van it dont hit trees ...unless there already hanging low..lol
the 5k is 14 inches longer .its 62 inches .were the 500 is 48 inces.if your not
planning on running a amp or talking dx then the 500 is a great antenna
for just around town.

The Wilson 500 whip is 54 inches.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.