1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

Base IMAX 2000 Antenna Delamination

Discussion in 'CB Antennas' started by Shasta69, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Shasta69

Shasta69 Member

Good morning,
    Searched the Forums and did not find an answer to the following question.

During maintenance I have removed an IMAX 2000 from my tower. Noticed irritations upon my hands when handling the antenna and appears the fiberglass is delaminating.

The antenna is in real good shape and intend to reinstall. However before I do, is there a spray can / roller sealer, I can place upon the antenna to stop this delamination?

Thank you.
    73s
    Paul

357magnum likes this.

2. 357magnum

357magnum Well-Known Member

I have ran this type of antenna for years ( Big Sticks / A-99 ) it's a common problem . I found out like you did itchy hands . I always use a fine steel wool or Scotch Brite pad wipe it down with a mild solvent then spray it with clear lacquer . This has always worked for me . jmo

3. fogdog

fogdog Active Member

I spray painted my new Imax 2000 to match the woods , and hopefully it will also protect it. Time will tell.

357magnum likes this.
  4. Shasta69

Shasta69 Member

Thanks folks!
    73's

5. Mars

Mars New Member

I recently bought a new IMAX also and applied numerous coats of Krylon urethane to the glass & chrome metal. Also applied it to the mounting bracket and swapped out the steel U-bolts & fasteners for stainless hardware. I suspect the coating will last 2-3 yrs. before needing reapplied.

6. Shasta69

Shasta69 Member

After using fine steel wool to knock off loose fiberglass, I used one 10oz. can of Minwax clear stain spray lacquer. Was able to get three healthy coats from one can with an hour drying time in between. The antenna sections smoothed out very well and now sealed.

Mars is right about the factory supplied hardware. U-bolts and nuts may be stainless but the lock washers were not.

Thanks to all who replied.
    Happy DXing.
    73s.

357magnum likes this.
  7. Rick330man

Rick330man Well-Known Member

I've got an A99, an IMAX 2000, a Radio Shack Archer Crossbow (Big Stick dyed in blue) and a Shakespeare 176-1. My Crossbow is something like 34 years old. My Shakespeare is about 20 years old.

I've always wrapped my fiberglass antennas in plastic automotive loom, the plastic tubing used to cover wiring in cars. The loom then gets beaten up by the UV rays, not my antenna. The result is having fiberglass antennas that last decades and do not delaminate.

357magnum, murdog and Riverman71 like this.
  8. Riverman71

Riverman71 Part-time Member

9. Shadetree Mechanic

Shadetree Mechanic 808 On The North Side of Dover

I have heard of people covering the whole thing with shrink tubing too.

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I used to get alot of that stuff coming off w/my Antron 99 but not so much with my Imax,I guess there isnt as much on it??

357magnum likes this.
  11. Rick330man

Rick330man Well-Known Member

As a footnote, I bought a Workman Bandit fiberglass, half-wave base antenna about ten years ago because I negotiated the purchase of four for cheap. The Bandit was essentially a copy of the A99. This early version did not have tuning rings, but it tuned up perfect the second I set it up. The joy was short-lived.

I did not wrap the Bandit in loom or protect it in any other way. It started to delaminate in a matter of months. In a little over 2 years, the middle section buckled and essentially caved in on itself. Down went the Bandit and back up went my decades-old Radio Shack Archer Crossbow (Shakespeare Big Stick dyed in blue).

That experience was probably the result of both substandard quality materials and my failure to protect it the way I had protected other fiberglass antennas.