• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax 2000 question.

SMILEX2692002

Oct 26, 2011
I had a Imax 2000 until the wind snapped the bottom section from the middle section.
I have came across a used bottom section to replace my broken one.
The question I have is what size u bolt does the Imax 2000 require?
I can't remember and I lost my original ones from the broken section.
I really wasn't thinking of using the Imax 2000 anymore but I could not pass up the deal for a replacement section.
So I need to buy new u bolts for the mounting bracket.
I also will need a mast since my tower now has 2 yagi antennas on it.
I was thinking of buying one of the Rohn telescoping masts. Looking at the 40ft version.
Or going to Home Depot and looking for some stout conduit to use for a mast from the ground up.
Either way I will be guying the mast at multiple heights to limit the ability of wind damage or even worse the mast buckling over.
My goal is to get the Imax 2000 up in the air to at least 34-36 ft to the feed point.

Also look in that parts house for the required bolts. I'm assuming it's a bolt that holds the sections together?
- 'Doc

I guess I should consider myself pretty lucky since my Imax has been up now for over 10 plus years without a single problem. It even survived Hurricane Sandys 90 mph wind gusts which ripped off the roof of my next door neighbors house.

After having one 20 years ago and my friends and myself buying one a couple of years ago, two out of three which have had issues in the first 12 months, I've come to the conclusion the older ones were built better.

My friend had the fibreglass tube come out of the bottom section and on mine the wire going up the middle section has become detached at the top end. Works great on 6m, no good for 10/11 though.

Reactions: 1 person
After having one 20 years ago and my friends and myself buying one a couple of years ago, two out of three which have had issues in the first 12 months, I've come to the conclusion the older ones were built better.

My friend had the fibreglass tube come out of the bottom section and on mine the wire going up the middle section has become detached at the top end. Works great on 6m, no good for 10/11 though.

I think you're right the older ones were probably built better, because it seems like the newer ones are the ones with the issues.

I was always happy with the Imax when it was up on my tower. I could make some long distance in state contacts at night on SSB. The receive was always really good. No RFI either.
Now I have to put the antenna on some other mast. When it was on the tower it was 50ft to the feed point.
I'm looking to get the antenna up in the air to at least 35ft at the feed point.

I worked New Zealand with 100 watts on 10M with my IMAX 2000. Super Flat SWR Curve...widebanded. It don't get no better....

How can it get any better? I mean, using a non-resonant, mismatched antenna on a band that it wasn't meant to be used on. Gotta be good, right?
And as for those 'hamsticks', while they are acceptable on 20 meters and up, tell me they are really great. I dare you...
- 'Doc

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.