• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax Installed

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
Imax feed point is 18.5ft total height is 42.5ft running RG 8/U coax. I got this antenna for $65 looked new like it had just been taken out of the box did not come with box or instruction manual. Antenna blowing in 10mph to 15mph wind. I have not tested the swr yet I have old cn 620 cross needle swr meter. The tuning rings might be in the correct location if it has never been used.

Last edited:

looks awful close to the other antenna

I was gonna "play" with my antenna,...... but,........... its too damn HOT!

I agree it is too close to the other antenna.

It also looks close to the upper power lines so I wouldn't be surprised if you get some power-line noise in your receiver.

J poles usually don't require a ground so I would suggest moving the J pole and maybe attach it to a ABS plastic pipe coming out from the roof with a PVC mast clamped to it if you need more height.

I ran an Imax before and installed like you did with it braced to the top of the eave of my house. I was able to get it up to 36 ft. without guy wires this way. I also ran ground mounted radials for a counterpoise.

This maybe something to consider since you should get this antenna at least 1 wavelength (11 meters high ) above ground if possible.

This should get it up above most of those power lines too.

That is basically the same as what I have for a base set up, but mine is like 70 feet away from power lines. Don't think I would want my antenna that close to them.

I just moved the Imax to a 36ft pushup mast and raised it like 5.5ft to 6ft higher I can still raise it another 6 to 10ft higher. I will have to wait till after the storm in the gulf passes by. Before it was on a 19ft pushup at feed point at about 18.5ft. Should be Thursday or Friday when I can raise it to max height of the pushup mast. Supporting the 36ft mast with a house bracket and a 4x4 piece of wood at 6.5ft up the pole leaning at a angle.

Nope I do not have room for any. I do have a house bracket at about 16ft and using a 4x4 piece of wood to support the mast at about 6.5ft to 7ft.

Headlines one day next week in the Houston Chronicle will read:

"Man electrified while sticking up CB Antenna"..."House burned to ground"..."TXU sues homeowner for causing major black-out"....

On lighter side of the News: "Neighborhood happy, no more TVI interference from Neighbor with CB Radio".:D

From looking at where you have your antenna, vs. where the power lines run...If you go up 10 more feet, and wind blows the antenna down, it will be all up in those power lines...just saying.
dja1.jpg

You see how tall your antenna is now, and if you add another 10-15', if it falls, you fry!
dja2.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RatsoW8
That was not the Imax that was a old Jpole I took down a few days ago. That Jople held up a few times with 50mph to 55mph wind with the tip about 35ft to 38ft. Imax is fiberglass I would not worry as much. I had a radio operator take a look at my backyard like 13 yrs ago and this is the best spot for a antenna. The other part of the back yard has a big power line cable and Cable and Internet lines running through the yard. If a Storm with 40mph+ winds is coming I can lower the pushup mast 10ft to 13ft if need be.

Last edited:
That was not the Imax that was a old Jpole I took down a few days ago. That Jople held up a few times with 50mph to 55mph wind with the tip about 35ft to 38ft. Imax is fiberglass I would not worry as much. I had a radio operator take a look at my backyard like 13 yrs ago and this is the best spot for a antenna. The other part of the back yard has a big power line cable and Cable and Internet lines running through the yard. If a Storm with 40mph+ winds is coming I can lower the pushup mast 10ft to 13ft if need be.

Fiberglass or not you should be concerned. What if it came down in the rain? Water is conductive at 7200+ volts. Also what qualifications did this radio operator have that told you that was the best place for an antenna and what was it based on? I would put the antenna at the opposite end of the house to get it further from the power lines even if the shack was at the opposite end. Coax loss on 11m is not that much.

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?