• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Imax Installed

If it is mounted on the side just like the other end I see no reason it couldn't go there. It would be out of the way of the driveway since it would be against the house and as for the neighbors, well they would eventually get over it. :)

Exactly, mount it on the roof, tri pod mount with 10' of 3/4 inch aluminum EMT conduit ( purchase at any electrical supply outlet) Light weight and should get the current maximum of the I2K at around 1 WL above ground.

Personally i would use something a bit more substantial than 3/4 inch EMT for two reasons. One, that is pretty small and won't fit the mounting clamps very well, and two, it will bend fairly easily in a high wind especially with that much antenna mounted above. There is a fair bit of leverage applied too it.I would use 1 1/4 swagged tubing like what R/S used to sell.

They make antenna mast sections in 5 and 10 foot lenghts at the tv shop down the road. I beleive its steel pipe with the proper interlocking ends. The 5ft ones are $10 and the 10ft ones are $20 I believe. A light tripod mount for a TV antenna should work and can be bought of eBay or check your local radio shack if it's still open. Install it properly to the roof and guide it to the corners of the house about 3dt from the bottom of the mast pipe. Should work. There are much heavier duty mounts and actually kits made with tripod included, check eBay for telescoping mast and antenna mast pipe. Also search antenna tripod roof mounts. Hope this helps.

I am lucky as my chimney has a sheet metal top. I have built a very strong unistrut frame and used some SS mounts I had left over from work for mounting 70lb. Radios onto antenna mast pipe. Used 2 of them and built an h-frame with the top set back to make it flat to the chimney. Now I need to install it. Too hot here right now!! After I install this I should have no issue getting my tornado to 30-35ft to the feedpoint. Good luck with your project and I don't care what anyone says, keep all objects off of or near any power lines, bottom line!! I don't care if it's fiberglass or aluminum!! Again, bottom line!! Have a good one.

well you guys, i wouldn't hold out too much hope for this one.

You have already seen how this guy operates. install first and ask questions later.
then he defends his wrong position to avoid having to listen to the advice he asked for.

im not surprised. this is the same guy who, 10 or so years ago tried to buy an FM transmitter from a european company using his personal credit card, then wondered why the feds showed up at his door.

The sad thing is, he's not new. he's been doing this for many years, and has had access to all the good info on this, and just about every other radio forum/website.

Djboutit, you have been in this hobby for long enough to know better than to install an antenna there.
The rest of us need you to stop perpetuating the bad stereotypes of CB'ers.
please.
LC

Reactions: jessejamesdallas
Okay. So I redid my tower this weekend. Moved it from one side to the other on the chimney, placing more toward the center of my house and not the neighbors. Also added 10ft of 1 1/4" conduit to the 1 3/8", then 1" conduits. All bolted together and very easy to take down to about 12ft now and be worked on. Feedpoint is now 27ft exactly off the ground. Braved the conduit onto the house and at top of chimney. It's a solid hold and antenna is not moving. Since the sirio tornado is so light I got away with lighter conduit. Worked out great. Better rx and Tx than previously with feedpoint at 18ft. Made a difference getting almost 10 more feet. Now if I can only convince myself to add one more conduit at the bottom ( 1 1/2") and some guy rope, I may take it to 35ft to the feedpoint. All in due time. For now I am happy!! As far as the poster goes, I wouldn't give a shit my mast was totally made of wood. That antenna hits those lines and it's lights out for your radio system. JMO. Fiberglass or not!!! Like CK said the voltages through those lines is not to be played with!!! Again JMO. LC I suppose some people will never learn. It takes something bad to happen before they listen. But at least he has been warned!!

well you guys, i wouldn't hold out too much hope for this one.

You have already seen how this guy operates. install first and ask questions later.
then he defends his wrong position to avoid having to listen to the advice he asked for.

im not surprised. this is the same guy who, 10 or so years ago tried to buy an FM transmitter from a european company using his personal credit card, then wondered why the feds showed up at his door.

The sad thing is, he's not new. he's been doing this for many years, and has had access to all the good info on this, and just about every other radio forum/website.

Djboutit, you have been in this hobby for long enough to know better than to install an antenna there.
The rest of us need you to stop perpetuating the bad stereotypes of CB'ers.
please.
LC
Exactly...Remember all the questions he was asking about where, and what antenna's to mount on his Mini-Van, then after all the suggestions, he go's and posts this:
d.jpg

And then wondered why later on the antenna mount on the right side started slipping, and he actually used bungee-straps to hold it up! I did have a pic of that, (which was hilarious) but must have got deleted somehow.

This is why I quit wasting allot of time with this guy trying to point him in the right direction.

Reactions: PA629
Exactly...Remember all the questions he was asking about where, and what antenna's to mount on his Mini-Van, then after all the suggestions, he go's and posts this:
d.jpg

And then wondered why later on the antenna mount on the right side started slipping, and he actually used bungee-straps to hold it up! I did have a pic of that, (which was hilarious) but must have got deleted somehow.

This is why I quit wasting allot of time with this guy trying to point him in the right direction.

yeah, but, ................... you edited the license plate info

images

yeah, but, ................... you edited the license plate info

images
yeah...figured everyone already knew that tho.:ROFLMAO: I wish I would have thought to save some of his videos he posted when he did a tour of the inside, and outside of that van, with the Cobra 2K inside and that Palomar bolted to the bottom of it...They were great entertainment. but he deleted them from youtube.

Well, one of the videos he left-up, but he was careful not to show the side of the van that had the bungee strap holding the antenna up.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?