• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

imax vs i10k

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
i took my i10k down yesterday to take measurements for my buddies i10k as a good starting point, whilst it was down i decided to throw the imax up for comparison, now its not a scientific test but it is typical of how people here set up their antennas and how others here would judge the performance difference, the vswr on both antennas was very low measured at the antenna,

the i10k was on average 1 s unit on my meter in front of the imax (one unit is very close to 3db) and on peoples cb meters it is in front by anywhere from 2 to 3 s units, i noticed less noise from the i10k too, we were all very surprised, i got a barrage of "how much are those 10k's", i reply and there is total silence lmao, thats the uk for ya, 2000 dollar radio and a dollar antenna :D

Reactions: 1 person

I have a local CB'er who lives approx. 20 miles away from me who also owns and uses both antennas. There is no noticeable difference at all on my S meter (signal strength), regardless of which antenna he is using. Yes, we are both base stations.

Hey..

Do what i do...
not what they do in UK...

I use a $2000 radio ( IC-7000 with mike and external speaker)
I also use Jay's Interceptor I-10K
I also use Andrews Heliax LDF5-50A coax feedline

Granted anyone can do well when skip comes in..
But i still seem to do much better then most..
Especially given i am on my radio tops 2 times a month..

Later

I noticed about 1 S unit gain in transmit and receieve going from an IMAX to an I-10K mounted at the same location on the same day with less TVI also. The IMAX is much quicker to assemble and cheaper tho.

Unit 194 wrote:
I have a local CB'er who lives approx. 20 miles away from me who also owns and uses both antennas. There is no noticeable difference at all on my S meter (signal strength), regardless of which antenna he is using. Yes, we are both base stations.

Some folks just have more money to play with then others. In many ways.shapes and forms , we tend to get what we pay for. Just luckily for many that some of the less exspensive stuff can and will get the job done as well. Case in point , 250.00 for a Jay's goodie and about 89.99 for a Imax goodie. I can say the same thing about a Cale's 10K goodie at under a 100.00 to a 9.99 S.S. 102 inch whip goodie. It's all goodie (-:

Switch Kit said:
Unit 194 wrote:

Some folks just have more money to play with then others. In many ways.shapes and forms , we tend to get what we pay for. Just luckily for many that some of the less exspensive stuff can and will get the job done as well. Case in point , 250.00 for a Jay's goodie and about 89.99 for a Imax goodie. I can say the same thing about a Cale's 10K goodie at under a 100.00 to a 9.99 S.S. 102 inch whip goodie. It's all goodie (-:

I am not knocking Jay's I-10K antenna although it is a bit pricey, but in my opinion the Imax 2000 performs just as well as the I-10K on TX.

Switch Kit I know you are agreeing with me. My response was aimed at the people who chose to pay $250.00 for the I-10K who probably feel an $89.99 Imax is an inferior antenna compared to the I-10K.

Unit 194 said:
Switch Kit I know you are agreeing with me. My response was aimed at the people who chose to pay $250.00 for the I-10K who probably feel an $89.99 Imax is an inferior antenna compared to the I-10K.

well they feel that way cause it is.

allthough i am using a imax right now. it was kinda scary in that weak tropical storm today.

FL Native said:
Unit 194 said:

well they feel that way cause it is.

allthough i am using a imax right now. it was kinda scary in that weak tropical storm today.

In what ways do feel the Imax is inferior??

i can think of a few areas where the i10k is superior to the imax

much stronger
bends far less in the wind
less noise on rx
can be tuned from around 24 to 50 mhz
significantly better signal on tx/rx ( at my location )

on the other hand the imax is

much cheaper
much easier to assemble
easier to tune
much wider bandwidth
fits where a groundplane antenna wont
too large to be considered a convenient dummyload

:twisted: :twisted:

bob85 said:
i can think of a few areas where the i10k is superior to the imax

much stronger
bends far less in the wind
less noise on rx
can be tuned from around 24 to 50 mhz
significantly better signal on tx/rx ( at my location )

on the other hand the imax is

much cheaper
much easier to assemble
easier to tune
much wider bandwidth
fits where a groundplane antenna wont
too large to be considered a convenient dummyload

:twisted: :twisted:

I have to disagree with you on the I-10K being < much stronger-bends less in the wind >.

After a recent wind storm (65 MPH gusts) my CB'er friend was picking up the pieces of his I-10K off the ground. Meanwhile my Imax is still standing tall, and in one piece.

I cant believe that the 10k fell apart in 65 mph gust :eek: . it must have been put together wrong. my maco 58 went throu gusts that high and no problem so I think the 10k would do even better :? .

I agree airplane1, that guy obviously left the I-10K assembled loose or those parts would not be all over the ground. Even if it fell all the way down to the earth, it might bend up, but it won't fall apart.

My I-10K survived a Tornado and I have no idea what the winds were, but it bent over to almost horizontal including the mast. I had a Sigma IV up at the same time and it was blown into a hedge in my neighbor's back yard. It was not damaged either, it was just lifted off of the mast where it was just sitting over about a foot or two.

Jay's antenna is without a doubt the strongest antenna built that I know of, and without adding a lot of extra weight to do so.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.