• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

imax vs i10k

Unit 194 said:
When a poster claims that they replaced their Imax with the I-10K and their signal strength has increased 1-3 S-units this claim is never challenged.
Because MANY people have seen the same results. Not just the owner of the I-10k, but the other guys who hear that station.

Unit 194 said:
A 3 S-unit gain in signal strength is a ridiculous claim to make when replacing one 5/8 wave antenna with another 5/8 wave antenna. If one were replacing their 5/8 wave antenna with a "directional antenna" (beam), then their increased S-unit claims would be much more credible.
I would agree, but you are missing a VERY important element here; I have stated time and again that a 5/8 is a 5/8 is a 5/8. Whether you use a single piece of 14ga wire or a stepped column of aluminum, in the end you still have a 5/8 antenna. The MAGIC of the I-10K is the FEEDPOINT! This design has very low loss compared to the feedpoint of other antennas, including the iMax. The more signal you get into the 5/8 radiating element, the more signal you get into the air. To illustrate this better, using the SAME antenna, you would see a higher S-unit reading when you run an amplifier due to having MORE signal into the 5/8 radiating element. If you ran 500' of RG-58, you would see a decrease in signal due to the loss. In the electrical world, 3 s-units would be impossible. In the S-meter world, 1 to 3 s-units is believeable.

Unit 194 said:
But don't you dare post a "true" story that the Imax is comparable on TX with the I-10K or that your friends I-10K "broke down" in a wind storm. You will then be mis-quoted called stupid and your story will be analyzed to death.
You missed what has been said. Nobody dismissed your claim. What was said is that there must have been some problems with the antenna or the build to get to these results. Another example; I just finished doing a tune-up on my Corvette. I raced a guy in a Dodge OMNI and he kicked my ass. The Dodge OMNI must be just as good or better than my Corvette. Right away you would question the "tune-up" or the condition of the Corvette, wouldn't you? Why? Because EVERYONE knows the Corvette is better.....especially those who have actually SEEN it.

Unit 194 said:
Do I smell a "conflict of interest"???????
I don't know what you are sniffing, but those who know me know I am a straight shooter when it comes to antennas. Don't think for a minute that I find no fault with the design of the I-10K. There are a few things I would and have done different in respect to this antenna.

What I have said is that it is currently the BEST CB antenna you can buy and definately the biggest bang for the buck!

If I had ever been paid for my input or compensated with even a single antenna, then it would be reasonable to assume a bias. I have paid for every single antenna I've received. When a local dropped theirs 3 times and tried to fix it with parts from another antenna, I bought the antenna for $100.00 and paid for the spare parts to get it back to original.

I hope this clears the air you are smelling!

Unit 194 said:
The following is a direct quote from Master Chief:

I have owned 6 I-10Ks and had input in the design in the late 90's during a number of e-mail exchanges between Jay and I. I have assembled, TIG welded, rivited, tuned, installed, removed, demonstrated, consulted, etc with more I-10Ks than anyone other than Jay and Steve.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After reading your quote, I think it is fair to say you would be "biased" against the Imax 2000 or any other competing 5/8 wave antenna.

Do I smell a "conflict of interest"???????
Is the Imax really a 5/8's wave? hmmm

Michael, I think the whole world considers it one of those longer than 1/2 wave type antennas. Are you getting your tap measure out to be precise?

This antenna, just like all the rest in the CB class of end fed 5/8 wave antennas, is just about as long as it needs to be for the matching device used, to bring it to resonance. The precise length of .625 of the 11 meter wavelength is just not that important to your question, because all these antennas are matched a bit differently and their length is likely used to balance the reactance to the center of the band making it resonant. It is an electrical thing and not a tape measure thing.

It may be close, but not every 1/2 wave works out to be exactally .50 of the wavelength of frequency either when tuned properly.

What do you think it is?

There are obviously many I-10K owners on this forum who cannot and will not accept criticism about their favorite base antenna, even when it's true. All I keep hearing is name calling, excuses and undocumented claims about the I-10K's supposed superiority over all other 5/8 wave base antennas.

Maybe if I had spent $250.00 plus S&H on an overpriced 5/8 wave base antenna, I might also start reacting the same way.

I used a imax for a few years and was plenty happy with it while I was using it. At the time I was also using rg-213, a cobra 29 and a galaxy 400 on a 50 amp power supply, a very economically priced base setup. I ran the imax for a few years but I started to notice that it wasn't weathering as well as I had hoped it would. I started to notice small cracks in the fiberglass and I decided it was time to replace it before it came down and damaged something else or possibly hurt someone. I had also upgraded to a x-force 2x4 base amp and a cobra 2000 so I figured I should spend a little more money on the antenna system to match the better(read more expensive) radio equipment I now had so I purchased an I10K with the idea that if I wasn't satisfied I'd send it back because Jay will give a refund if you aren't satisfied(another reason I believe the antenna is well worth the large price tag). At the time I put the antenna up I used LDF4-50A heliax which might have helped my results but I was more than satisfied with the antenna. With the imax my wife would complain anytime I was on the radio and she was trying to watch tv and the I10K eliminated all of that(I can't get cable where I'm at so I'm on an antenna for my tv). I also was able to talk to and hear people that were around 70 miles away I had never talked to before on my base(although I can barely hear them and talk to them). The I10K also cleared up a lot of the static I was hearing with the imax, which is probably why I could hear more stations I had never heard before. I was also very impressed with how much stifer the I10K was in the wind compared to the imax. So I decided to keep the antenna since I was more than satisfied with it.

Unit 194 said:
There are obviously many I-10K owners on this forum who cannot and will not accept criticism about their favorite base antenna,
The problem doesn't lie with the antenna. Its USER ERROR.

Unit 194 said:
All I keep hearing is name calling, excuses and undocumented claims about the I-10K's supposed superiority over all other 5/8 wave base antennas.
Who has called who, names or made excuses?

Unit 194 said:
Maybe if I had spent $250.00 plus S&H on an overpriced 5/8 wave base antenna, I might also start reacting the same way.
Over priced? You obviously have no idea what it costs to build an I-10K. Yes, they are THAT good! Coily's antenna is $450.00 due to the extra machining and welding. You get what you pay for and there are no free lunches.

What is real amazing is that you have NOT owned this antenna yourself and have made no claim that you have actually seen one up close. You then make claims based on what you have heard and not on what you have seen. This makes you a fool. Now, just incase you think I'm calling you names, the definition of a "fool" is "one who acts foolish." So you see, its not name calling any more than calling you a "man", because you have a pair.

I'd guess that if you actually ran an I-10K, you too would be proud of your investment....just like the rest of the world! Not everyone will be happy, but you can't please them all! Seriously though, if there WAS a problem with the I-10K, don't you think that more than one or two people would have a problem with it?

As I pointed out earlier, when the antenna is assembled wrong, it will not work well! I've seen it personally! When they are built right, they don't come apart in the air and they work as advertised!

It's too bad you live in New Jersey or I would bring one out and show you....using your radio and S-meter!

If it makes you feel any better, I have seen the I-10K up close, and I have even used the I-10K at my friend's station. But I still prefer the Imax at my station. As I pointed out to you earlier, if you have not physically inspected my friends I-10K, how can you be so sure it was assembled wrong while sitting behind your computer keyboard????

Nice try, but I don't live in New Jersey.

I already answered that question. I'll say it again just for you..... The fact that it came apart is proof enough that it was assembled incorrectly. Sure, there could have been some catostropic material failure, but I doubt it.

Not in New Jersey? My mistake. East Coast then? Either way, had you been in Southern CA i would have been MORE than happy to test both antennas and even let you make the rules.

Hey Bob, sorry for the thread hyjack. If you want, I'll clean house.

This is the best..........thats the best..............what really matters is doing the best you can with what you got through pure determination. In my case an 8 year old A-99 @ 25ft is showing some signs of wear but still doing it's thing,work lots of DX with great signal reports. :D BTW i think it's all about conditions..........just being at the right place at the right time :p

novakor said:
This is the best..........thats the best..............what really matters is doing the best you can with what you got through pure determination. In my case an 8 year old A-99 @ 25ft is showing some signs of wear but still doing it's thing,work lots of DX with great signal reports. :D BTW i think it's all about conditions..........just being at the right place at the right time :p

I loved my old A-99. That was probably one of the BEST antennas I ever owned. And it was also very affordable.

JustinDePolis said:
Master Chief, i know you, and you know me. Why waste the time with this guy? It's obvious that he has no other knowledge on the subject other than his "good buddy" meter.

What is really sad, is not that all that he has to back him up is the "good buddy S-unit meter" but the fact that he hasn't stopped once, and thought... "why do these people think it's better?" or how about "explain to me so I can understand why it's better".

All I keep hearing is the story about it falling apart, and an S-unit increase.

There's an old saying: "You can't fight what's right".

It's simple, the IMAX works for some, but let's face it, there's nothing special about it, it's lossy, noisy (which to some good buddies means IT'S GOT GREAT EARS, LOOK 4 POUNDS OF NOISE!!)

::sigh:: :roll:

All YOU keep hearing is what you want to hear and thats called "Selective Hearing"!!!!
Sorry "Good Buddy", I don't have 4 pounds of noise.

its cool chief, i half expected to have my posts deleted, i can get carried away myself sometimes but i do own both antennas and many more, imho sharing experiences of different equipment is ok, 194 is basing his opinion on his buddies one experience while i am remembering all the imax that have snapped round here while the 10k has not even broke into a sweat, i just aint gonna sit back and accept a total nonsense, the groundplanes and cap hat fell off at 65mph, now i can accept the cap hat may not have been crimped correctly which is the only way i see it comming off at 65, i simply dont believe that one guy got an i10k with multiple faults on the groundplanes and the cap hat that rendered it a pile on the lawn at a measly 65mph wind, somebody needs a torque wrench ;)

JustinDePolis said:
Sorry, I was only hearing what I wanted to hear. You're right, I had my non-sense filter switched on.

OK now, done bickering, once again, I ask, what technical reasons do you think the IMAX is better? Other than the S-meter issue.

I personally have some questions so we can get back on topic rather than keep this the direction it was going:

1: How high is the IMAX, and was the I-10K above ground, and what was it mounted on?

2: What power level is being used?

3: What feed line is being used, and was it changed when the antennas were changed?

4:Were the antennas up in the air at the same height at the same time, but fed with the same type of feedline, and were they far apart that they woudn't "see" each other?

It is true that some antennas can out perform others in certain situations. For instance, I used to run an Antron 99, and a Maco V 58. The reason was that the A99 was great for short distance skip. For instance, with me being in Southern California, if I wanted to talk to Oregon, Washington state, or Colorado, etc, the Antron would sometimes work better on receive and transmit.

If I wanted to talk locally about 10 miles or more away, or to the east coast, the Maco 58 was much better on RX/TX. This is using the same feeedline, and having them the same height, about 29 feet apart.

The reason for this is simple. The A99 has a much higher take-off angle, which most people call "bad" however, for shorter distance "hops" it worked better.

The Maco, being a real groundplane antenna, and being a 5/8 wave, had a lower take off angle, and was better for it's intended purpose.

Just some ideas.

No it looks like you had your pro I-10K filter switched on!!!!
And now to answer some of your questions to the best of my limited knowledge:

1. Both antennas were mounted on 2 crank-up towers which were approximately 75 feet tall.

2. From 4-500 watts ( approximately)

3. I believe its Andrew brand cable but I'm really not sure. No nothing was changed.

4. I would hope so!!!!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.