• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Improved RX Sensitivity, Robyn 240D

Tweek

Hushpuppy Jr in the Tarheel
Nov 10, 2013
Youngsville, NC
www.wb4iuy.net
I originally did this mod sometime back, after a total restoration of a 240D for a friend. I had recapped the rig, and changed all of the out-of-tolerance resistors. A new set of tubes still wouldn't bring the RX up to what I had hoped for, it was hanging around .4uV @ 10dB. Not bad, and I think probably in spec for that rig, but I felt that tube lineup in the receiver should have been much better. Since then, he's collected several of these radios, and after modifying all of them the same way and having practically the same results, I don't mind sharing this info. They all seemed to start out around .4-.5uV in sensitivity.

I optimized the voltages on the 1st & 2nd mixers, and 1st I.F. amp. Here's the poop...

- Change R106 from 47K to 220K

20200104_140837.jpg

- Change R201 from 680 ohms to 1200 ohms

20200104_145101.jpg

- Install a 56k resistor in parallel with R303

20200104_150634.jpg

All of his rigs improved between .07-.1uV @ 10dB, one actually hit about .05uV.

This should probably work on the other radios that are basically the same Panasonic chassis...T-Berry, Colt, Gemtronix. Maybe the 23 channel stuff like the Comstats, but compare the mixer and I.F. stages to those schematics before you venture off to change stuff :)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.