• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Improving receive

Both of my Lincoln 2+ radios had horrible receive when talking local, it didn't matter if the local station was the same or less on the S meter as DX, they sounded terrible, like a non biased amp was being used on the TX side x10. I sent both of them to 350 radio in Georgia and he slowed down the ALC response time to dramatically improve the local RX audio. Both of them will still sound a little distorted with extremely strong (S9+30) but for the most part they are improved. Comparing the receivers on these Lincoln's to my 7300, they seem to have the same sensitivity, but the noise filtering isn't as good.

i had a II+ and it was ok.kinda wish id kept it. but i traded with a friend that wanted diffrent radio and i got an early stryker 955.which i traded in on a ver II stryker. then i got a pos 6666. lincoln was accidently better than that 6666 in my opinion

. . . then i got a pos 6666. lincoln was accidently better than that 6666 in my opini
I've never heard anyone refer to a quad 6 as a POS. All of the quad 5s and 6s I hear on the air sound excellent, and their operators speak highly of them. What was the problem with yours ?? I'm thinking about getting one and I'd like to know. Thanks 73.
J.J. 399

Last edited:
Every company can have a Friday afternoon or Monday morning POS once in awhile. I had 2 bad experiences from President Radio ( In a Row ). And you could say 3 if you consider them not aligning my Lincoln II+ proper after replacing the bad part in the SSB circuit. POS !!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Disclaimer first.

I've never messed with one of these radios, but i wonder if someone would be willing to try an experiment for me in an attempt to help this issue.

(this would do nothing for a narrow receiver issue if that's the actual problem)

Turn the radio on in AM mode with nothing connected to the antenna jack.
turn the volume up to a normal listening level or just higher than that. Squelch down and RF gain all the way up.

how does it sound?
does it sound like there is a lot of hiss coming through the speaker?
like white noise?

if so, adjust T1 slightly just until the receiver quiets down.

now check sensitivity with your sig gen.
can you still hear the tone slightly when under 1uV?

if so, try connecting the radio to your antenna again and see if the performance has improved.

if it's not obvious, im wondering if the first RF amp is overloading later stages.
LC
I will try this today, will report back once the DX starts running.

Reactions: whiteastro
Every company can have a Friday afternoon or Monday morning POS once in awhile. I had 2 bad experiences from President Radio ( In a Row ). And you could say 3 if you consider them not aligning my Lincoln II+ proper after replacing the bad part in the SSB circuit. POS !!!
I wonder how many people have a Lincoln 2+ with the raspy receive? I didn't really notice it on mine until this cycles DX started picking up.

I wonder how many people have a Lincoln 2+ with the raspy receive? I didn't really notice it on mine until this cycles DX started picking up.
I've heard more than a couple complaints about Lincoln II+ with bad receive. I promise I won't Dwell on the problem but I am considering taking another trip out to Bob's CB shop to buy a quad 5 from him and have him align the Lincoln so I can sell it without feeling guilty that I stuck someone with a Lemon. LOL

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
My friends brand new Lincoln 2+ has two of the known Lincoln problems and it's only a few weeks old.. It has the raspy receive and he has to run the RF gain at 75% or less all the time to clean it up. It also has the known mic issue where every so often when you key the mike it clicks up or down a channel instead......

Ranger products have pretty much gone to the dogs and it looks like President isn't far behind. So much for buying anything made in North America !
Kind of forces our hand into buying Anytones as they are much better than anything else out there, and much cheaper too.

Sold mine and went with an Anytone 5555N2. The receive is friendlier in the Q52 and tx audio gets great reports. I like the size and color options of the President better, tho. I was torn on selling it because my son bought it for me, but he was fine with the decision to trade it. From what I understand- the Lincoln II series requires a professional alignment and then they shine. A wire clip ain't gonna be enough. Do it right and the Lincoln II+ is a winner. Although, there are lemons in all brands.

I've heard Rangers aren't what they use to be.
They've really gone downhill over the years.
However, I have heard a couple of good reviews of the performance of the new RCI-29 base station from people.......
Seems like they might have dealt with some of the technical and quality control issues which would be amazing ! I'll wait to hear more about them from more people though before I believe it.....

The other big issue with Ranger products (other than the ugly styling) is the price point. You can get an Anytone with all the same features for about half the cost.
The asking price for the RCI-29 seems ludicrous by comparison.

Reactions: Rwb and whiteastro
I've never heard anyone refer to a quad 6 as a POS. All of the quad 5s and 6s I hear on the air sound excellent, and their operators speak highly of them. What was the problem with yours ?? I'm thinking about getting one and I'd like to know. Thanks 73.
J.J. 399
Its rather crudly built knob layout sucks .clarifier in odd place squelch n others coulda been placed better.
The radio just seems odd as the menus are several instead of 1 .thats some of my quirks with it

J.J. 399
A local guy has been running a Quad 6 for about a month now, probably the best he has ever sounded. He has had a 2950, Galaxy 86v, and a Magnum S-45 HP. We talk mostly SSB, he loves it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.