• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Inclement weather antenna work

fasteddy

Apr 5, 2005
Was just out doing antenna work. Its 35 degrees and snowing lightly, nothing like what it is up in the Denver area tho. Its an lod Hams tale that if you do antenna work in bad weather you will have very little trouble with your system, compared to doing antenna work in nice weather, then all you do is work on them. I guess I follow that rule because it seems like whenever the weather is bad I'm wout doing antenna work. What do y'all think, is it true?
Ed
KC0PZE

I've had almost no trouble with my antennas, but it seems like it's always 100+ degrees when I'm working on them. Does that count as good or bad weather???/ :shock:

Well Ed,prime antenna maintenence season is rapidly comming to an end here on the east coast.The days are just getting too far above freezing and the winds too calm to even try to climb the tower here.I really hope I can get that 80m dipole up before I have to worry about getting a sunburn while working on it and then being forced afterwards to sit down with a cool beer.So much antenna work to do and so little weather window left. :p

949Jake said:
I gotta agree - who wants to push up a metal mast in above freezing temperatures?

I agree.There is just something about that burning feeling you get from holding in it your bare hands just before they go numb and the blisters one gets on one's lips from holding various frozen hardware items while struggling with both hands that just has untold appeal. :?

BTW if it is true I should never have any more trouble with my tribander.It was about 8 degrees F with a brisk wind the day I finally got to repair it.Amazing how cold it gets 40 feet off the ground.Even more amazing how quickly one forgets NOT to hold those antenna bolts in your mouth under those conditions. :shock:

QRN said:
949Jake said:
I gotta agree - who wants to push up a metal mast in above freezing temperatures?

I agree.There is just something about that burning feeling you get from holding in it your bare hands just before they go numb and the blisters one gets on one's lips from holding various frozen hardware items while struggling with both hands that just has untold appeal. :?

We still have the bad summer storm to look forward to. The best thing next to handling frozen metal is dodging lightning bolts. :D

well i have taken down my antenna in very cold weather and very hot days like today. And i would say i think i like the hotter days better than the colder days. 1 time we were talking down the antenna and it whiped around and hit me right on the tip of the ear. :x :x That hurt. But i would rather get a sun burn that have frost bite on my lip or fingures!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.