• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Independent NB/ANL operation on CB/10 Meter radios

FredTx63

Oct 17, 2015
I've never been a big fan of what the Automatic Noise Limiter (ANL) does to receive audio on most CB & 10 meter radios. To me, it seems like it just whacks a lot of high frequencies giving you the illusion of lower noise at the expense of fidelity. Unfortunately, the NB/ANL setup on most CB & 10 meter radios is configured where to have the NB on, you also have to have the ANL on. Has anyone ever modified a radio like so you can control NB independent of ANL or are they basically the same circuit on most radios? Example: Cobra 29 LTD Classic.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

The NB will be on when the switch controlling it is closed. The Noise Blanker is an active circuit that requires power. The switch simply removes the NB circuit's power to disable it.

The ANL is the exact opposite. The ANL switch will short across a diode on the radio's circuit board to turn the ANL off. Opening the switch to remove the short is what makes the ANL active. Totally the reverse of the Noise Blanker.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.