• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Indoor Antennas

RobInSTL5150

Jan 11, 2022
I have a friend I am trying to help out with an antenna situation they have. They currently reside in what I consider a horrible radio situation - it is a three floor building and their unit is in the middle. They cannot mount a normal exterior antenna (no deck, no gutter, cannot use roof, etc) and are currently using an indoor antenna which while it does work is very ineffective.

I am looking to see what others might suggest for a possible solution that might help them get out and receive better and even for what I know improving the situation will not be easy if not impossible but open to suggestions. Far as I can tell the only real options would be what they have now which is running the current indoor antenna, some type of smaller antenna that could be clamped to the exterior window lip or possibly some type of dipole or loop antenna that could hang out the window but be removable when not in use.

Any suggestions welcome!

I have a couple questions.
1: Will this be a transmit and receive antenna?
2: If T/R is answer, what frequency range(s)?
3: If RX ONLY, then again; freq. range(s)
4: Size of room, where radio is used...
Location of windows/radio bench, general layout may help give a different group of suggestions.
WELCOME (y)
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB

Reactions: Woody-202
firestick iba 5
I put one of those antennas on top of a 4' square piece of flat galvanized sheet metal out on my lawn and talked 3 states away with no power. On the floor in front of the window might help somewhat but you have to think of being too close to RF power.

I have a couple questions.
1: Will this be a transmit and receive antenna?
2: If T/R is answer, what frequency range(s)?
3: If RX ONLY, then again; freq. range(s)
4: Size of room, where radio is used...
Location of windows/radio bench, general layout may help give a different group of suggestions.
WELCOME (y)
All the Best
Gary/W9FNB
For the best to my knowledge this is transmit/receive in the 10/11 meter bands. The building is an apartment building with no porch, deck or otherwise and is on the middle floor of a three story building. Not entire sure what he is using now as there are two antennas both I believe mobile type that are working and have suggested some type of wire/loop setup out the window. Have also seen a MACO BA1 which looks to be some type of antenna designed for a balcony mount but not sure how effective they are.

My first thought was to fish a plumbing vent pipe but you said no roof access.

Mobile and/or remote from the workplace or another location.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.