• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Induction coil for soldering connectors

I'm thinking this will only work if there is some ferrous metal in the connector. It also looks like the connector came preloaded with solder. Probably lead free hippy solder. :)
Not true! The antenna stingers that you move up and down to tune the antenna are all stainless steel and the loading coils are made from copper.
You can induce voltage and current in almost anything.

Not true! The antenna stingers that you move up and down to tune the antenna are all stainless steel and the loading coils are made from copper.
You can induce voltage and current in almost anything.

Yes, but we aren't trying to heat up our antennas. I know people that will not use ferrous fasteners in tank circuits for that reason. Supposedly they can loosen over time....probably doesn't matter for a kw ham amp.

I may be completely wrong but would do some research before buying. I wouldn't want someone to buy something like this only to find that it requires specialized connectors to work. I'm not saying it won't work period on non ferrous materials but it may not work very well.

Reactions: Tallman
Yes, but we aren't trying to heat up our antennas. I know people that will not use ferrous fasteners in tank circuits for that reason. Supposedly they can loosen over time....probably doesn't matter for a kw ham amp.

I may be completely wrong but would do some research before buying. I wouldn't want someone to buy something like this only to find that it requires specialized connectors to work. I'm not saying it won't work period on non ferrous materials but it may not work very well.
You always have to be aware of where you are using certain metals. As an example you do not want to solder heavy ground wires for lightning suppression.

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt

You can indeed induce electrical currents in pretty much any metal. It does not have to be ferrous at all. BTW ferrous fasteners indeed should not be used in high RF fields. In our ATU's at AM TX sites we would only use brass or stainless steel of a grade that was non-magnetic. All the caps and inductor were bolted together and to a solid aluminum plate.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated