• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

info please

Not all the new age C K.

Oh I know not all the new age hams are like that but it IS more and more prevalent on the bands today than it was a decade ago. I don't blame the operators, except those that do not or will not listen and learn, but I do blame the system. Anyway I digress, this wasn't supposed to degenerate into a then and now thread.

Yes true on the digress.

I was not licensed years ago, only thing I did was MARS, from the uniform side of the two way.

I hear it on the bands also, sometimes you sit back and laugh, sometimes you shake your head, other times you just turn the power off and go watch tv.

Last edited:
thankss

Ummmm . . . Let me guess . . .
thanks.robb.you. and all u guys have helped alot i am presently studying to get my ham licence, one day but my friend has this radio he just wants to talk on 11 meters am normal local and 10 meters lsb can u sudgest some more settings like power setting and modulation. or mike gain settings i read your comment and would like some more advice just to keep the radio happy.. it was purchased with the am transmit modification so it does transmit on 11 meters and i now what u mean about finicky trans on am so if u can it will be greatly appriciated;;; 73;s:confused:thanks
You want to use this radio on CB/AM talking. First of all, this radio is a little finicky about AM transmitting. Works fine for SSB. You can make it work on AM mode; but will have a hard time adjusting the mic gain correctly. Setting the dead key/'carrier' will be the other problem. If you try to make it over-modulate like a CB - it won't. It will just transmit a clicking sound when it hits the 100% modulation mark. Like hitting a brick wall. The radio's on-board compressor will make it sound even worse. I tried it - so I know. At best, it will put out 30 watts PEP/watts with a dead key/'carrier' of 6-8 watts on AM. It will put out about 100 watts/PEP on SSB. Works great on SSB; troublesome on AM. Not a real problem for a beginner or seasoned Ham to make it work just fine . . .

This radio wasn't built to suit the needs of CB AMers on "da bowl". Modifying it will take some cash and finding someone willing to do the work. Not saying it can't be done. But if you don't know your way around a Ham rig; you would have been better off getting a Ranger, Galaxy, or Cobra - and then modifying the crap out of that.

thanks.robb.you. and all u guys have helped alot i am presently studying to get my ham licence, one day but my friend has this radio he just wants to talk on 11 meters am normal local and 10 meters lsb can u sudgest some more settings like power setting and modulation. or mike gain settings i read your comment and would like some more advice just to keep the radio happy.. it was purchased with the am transmit modification so it does transmit on 11 meters and i now what u mean about finicky trans on am so if u can it will be greatly appriciated;;

He's not going to get many responses on 10m LSB. He'll need to use USB on 10 meters. If he's not licensed, tell him to stay off of 10 meters anyway.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.