• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Inspiring to be a Licensed Ham anyone?

Alott more ham operators than will admit got there start in CB of course back when allott of them started like me CB was ham it was all under the fcc control and you had to pass atest just to get a 27 mhz license. My first call was kjw9434 back then that was a cb only call. Then they went to just fill out the form adn send it in. The fc would assign a call then they went to the fill in your own call then the total deragulating. I myself was a freebander of sorts back in the old days we ran what was call 305 which was above channel 23 all we had. Then the 40 channels came and took that away. That was when i got to listening around and decided it was time to get with the program and got busy and got my ticket. Most ham operators will welcome all new comers and help them in any way they can. As long as like others have said they act responsably and leave allott of the 11m bad habits there. There are some good CB'ers and there are some bad ham operators we need to keep the good and get rid of the bad in both. So the best way on the ham operator side is to incurage more good operators on the bands and help guide them in the right direction and educate them in the proper operation and not brow beat them about how bad they were to be cb'ers. As far as 2m repeaters go I feel they are as bad as most cb radios and hardly ever use one. It's to easy to pick up the microphone of a good hf rig and talk any where you want when ever you want just do th calculations for muf and numbers of spots and go to thatr band and make a contact. Or just remember 20/17/15/40 day time 75mtrs at night for local. just the oposite for dx.

I recently returned to the Ham Bands and I'm glad to be back there...but I do still hang on the C.B. with my friends there as well , I even started a new local C.B. club in my area . I have alot of friends that are on both C.B. and Ham and I decided I wasn't gonna let 2 crooked Amateur Operators keep me from talking to my friends that are on the Ham Bands . So after selling everything I owned for Ham equipment I have now gone out and bought new equipment to replace the old (I won't do that again...lol).

And to Northstar .... Congratulations on passing your test . :D

When I became a Technician Class Amatuer I was very open about my Citizen Band backround and I even talked about how I still enjoy talking on the "Chicken Band". Most people who are Amatuers started on CB and are afraid to admit it. Most people I have talked with in my area don't mind that I am a CBer and actually embrace it. There are the people out there that try to put me down, But I explain to them that Citizen Band Radio is communication just like the Amatuer Radio "Hobby" and the only difference is that CB no longer requires a license. I also tell them that operating a radio professionally is all that matters regardless of a license "Status" and if they continue to take jabs at me I tell them that if they continue I will just ignore them. Cocky self righteous Hams should not be allowed to operate any type of communications equipment, People like that are poison to radio communications.

When I became a Technician Class Amatuer I was very open about my Citizen Band backround and I even talked about how I still enjoy talking on the "Chicken Band". Most people who are Amatuers started on CB and are afraid to admit it. Most people I have talked with in my area don't mind that I am a CBer and actually embrace it. There are the people out there that try to put me down, But I explain to them that Citizen Band Radio is communication just like the Amatuer Radio "Hobby" and the only difference is that CB no longer requires a license. I also tell them that operating a radio professionally is all that matters regardless of a license "Status" and if they continue to take jabs at me I tell them that if they continue I will just ignore them. Cocky self righteous Hams should not be allowed to operate any type of communications equipment, People like that are poison to radio communications.

I know exactly what you mean Broncoman529 , I almost allowed some of those cocky self righteous Hams in my own local area to chase me away from Amateur Radio (some of which are also former CBers like myself) . I was always right up front about being a CBer as well , and most of them were nice about it too . But you always have those few who think that they're better than you , but that happens no matter where you go to I guess . Needless to say I decided I wasn't gonna let a few cocky,self righteous Hams chase me off the radio . So I'm getting back on now myself . :D

Racoon,

Now THAT'S the "ticket"! :D Pardon the pun! You EARNED that ticket--same as anyone else. Thus, you have the privilege of your license, and no one should be able to run you off. There's room for everybody. All that is required is that folks behave, conform to the traditions and protocol of Amateur Radio, and take advantage of what they earned. Sometimes, I hear about CBers talking about "them hams are just too stuck-up for me so I went back to 11 meters." Well, *IF* somebody did "diss" you, still, whose fault is it that you allowed it to deny you what you worked for? :? There is simply too MUCH available to you to let somebody do that! :D Just learn and ENJOY!! :D Consider the source when someone is trying to criticize you. HE is likely the one with the problem; not you!

CWM

Raccoon,

Where I am at so far no one has said anything about cb. And I think alot of them used to talk on cb just like me. I recently passed Element 3. Right now I am working on code to take Element 1 soon hopefully.

NorthStar said:
Raccoon,

Where I am at so far no one has said anything about cb. And I think alot of them used to talk on cb just like me. I recently passed Element 3. Right now I am working on code to take Element 1 soon hopefully.

Stick with the code study! There's no telling if the FCC will remove the tests on code any time soon! Anything could happen! They might even decide to leave the test in place for a long period of time. Nooooobody knows!

Racoon,

Now THAT'S the "ticket"! Pardon the pun! You EARNED that ticket--same as anyone else. Thus, you have the privilege of your license, and no one should be able to run you off. There's room for everybody. All that is required is that folks behave, conform to the traditions and protocol of Amateur Radio, and take advantage of what they earned. Sometimes, I hear about CBers talking about "them hams are just too stuck-up for me so I went back to 11 meters." Well, *IF* somebody did "diss" you, still, whose fault is it that you allowed it to deny you what you worked for? There is simply too MUCH available to you to let somebody do that! Just learn and ENJOY!! Consider the source when someone is trying to criticize you. HE is likely the one with the problem; not you!

CWM

CW Morse ,
I thank you greatly for your comments and agree with you 100% . You just make me feel that much better about my choice to stick with it ... it's good to know that there are alot of really good people out there on the Amateur air waves to talk with like yourself . The majority of Amateur Operators in my area were alright with me being a CBer before making the change over to Amateur Radio ... it was only a minority that talked down to me and acted as if they were better than me because they never talked on the "Childrens Band" before . So I figured I'd go back to Ham radio and not let the minority chase me off from talking to the majority , I have alot of friends there . I keyed up the other night for the first time since September and I had alot of people that had been missing talking to me ... so that made me feel good too , I'm glad I did decide to come back . :D

At the end of the day,the question of whether you came up from CB or not,shouldn't matter.

You've paid your money,you've earned your ticket,and you've then forked out a lot of money for your equipment,much in the same way as anyone else.

I'm just about to start my foundation licence here in the UK,which I think is the equivalent to the technician licence stateside,and I started on CB when I was 15,which is now 26 years ago.I have had some breaks along the way to do other things,but until about 18 months ago,spent a lot of time on 11m ssb,and in my opinion,it's an ideal training ground for those who wish to operate ssb on ham.

I actually took my class b licence in the 90's,and failed one part of it,but never went back,however,for some unknown reason,my interest was re-kindled about 3-4 weeks ago,so I went to see my local club.The Chairman said,that the foundation course had already started,but because of my past in radio,I was more than welcome to come along,and jump in,whereby I shouldn't have any problems catching up.

Now thats the sort of attitude that should be adopted,and none of this snobbery as to where you came from.

Just my 2 cents/pence worth.

Ken.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.