• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Install CB to turn off with ignition?

CyberRider

Aug 21, 2018
I'm unsure about whether to install my Uniden Pro520XL CB with the power straight to the battery
OR
to install somewhere else so the CB turns off with the ignition.

Please weigh-in with tips, ideas, etc. I'm a first-timer. :)

I have a Uniden 510 in my stake body truck and it turns off with the key. It is inconvenient when I am working near the truck, I have to put the key in to hear the radio. Normally I will roll the windows down so I can hear it outside the vehicle. My ranger pickup I wired straight to the battery and I really like it but a few times I forgot to turn it off. Luckily they don't use much power on stand by and the truck started right up. As far as noise goes, the battery is the best place to put it.
Chris

I personally wire my radios direct to the battery and I always turn my radio off when I get ready to turn off the ignition. There are bad things that happen when you start your engine that are not radio friendly. The inductive kick that comes from the starter is enough to roast your radio and any amplifiers that are on. That does not mean if you do it once and the fuse will blow, it is a cumulative damage process.
Inductive kick voltages can be many times the 12 volt rating of solid state components.

http://barktech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Causes-and-Effects-of-Transient-Voltages.pdf

Last edited:
I personally wire my radios direct to the battery...
...I bypass vehicle wiring as much as possible.
As far as noise goes, the battery is the best place to put it.
Go right to the Battery.
Wire to the battery..............
Thanks for the advice! I will wire directly to the battery! That'll probably be easier than tracking down the ignition wiring and whatnot. I appreciate your words, guys. :)

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Not necessarily true in every case there Porky...

I had a guy bring his truck in here last hunting season, I had done an alignment on his radio and checked his amplifier out for him. On my bench, everything was fine. He put it back in his truck and every time he would key the radio, it would growl and grind, useless.

Very long story, very short... he had the radio connected to the fuse panel. His amp was directly to the battery. Moved the radio directly to the battery, problem solved.

What works for Peter doesn’t always work for Paul, so I’m not saying your setup is incorrect but I am saying your setup might not work for others.

I've done it both ways, but prefer going straight to battery...if for no other reason it's easier than finding a hot wire under the dash that's not going to blow a fuse if something else is hooked to it...plus less noise going to battery.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.