• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

intentional interferance on 2 meter

Big Dog

Sep 4, 2008
I just passed the tech exam last week and I have been listening to an old realistic receiver on 2 meter just to get more familar to the way contacts are made. So me and my 11 year old son are monitoring and some dirt bag cuts in with any crap you could think of,but all the people talking totally ignored him and continued with thier discussion and the guy stopped in about 2mins.. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard the same thing one night. There was a round table going on on 2m and some kid somehow had a 2m rig . He started taunting the group. But the person in charge told everyone to ignore him which is what we are required to do if they don't give their call. And sure enough he went away . It was amazing at their resolve to not respond. I'm sure they wanted to but they just went ahead with their conversation .

Had that happen to us one time on a 2m net as well.:headbang The net control told three of us to turn on our "Doppler Range Finders":LOL: and to triangulate and locate the interfering signal.:blink: The offender for some reason went away.:love: This was done only after we had endured the interference for about 4 or 5 minutes.:headbang

We have two repeater clubs in our area, many belong to both, some of us only pay dues to one, but get along with those in the other, and have open access to the other repeater. This has been the situation since long before I was originally licensed in 1988.
Something happened during the time I was inactive, and there is some serious annimosity between some of the members and officers of these two clubs. Some of these "so called" officers have taken their issue so far as to intentionally interfere with nets and conversations being conducted by those on the other repeater. Some of these characters who are all grown men have acted like children, the one's causing the interference, and the one's being interfered with who have thrown childish hissy fits on the air because they were being interfered with.
It has gotten so bad that a few of us have moved to a mostly unknown, and rarely used repeater in the next County just to get away from the nonsense.
Beyond the one club hosting a Skywarn net on Monday nights that I will continue to participate in, I rarely use either of these two repeaters now.

Had these idiots bothered to do what those mentioned in this thread did, this would have become a non-issue, but some in ham radio tend to be extremely immature. You have the school yard bullies, and the whiney geeks they love to pick on, the only difference is.....these are grown men, professionals in their perspective fields, acting like school boys. It's disgusting and shameful, but it's what happens when ham's can't find the self control that's supposed to come with maturity, and conduct themselves like adults.....both on and off the air......

I have made it known that if the nonsense does not resolve, or those responsible do not step down from their positions of authority within the club, I will not be renewing my membership, and instead will divert my dues money to a club it the next County.

...but all the people talking totally ignored him and continued with thier discussion and the guy stopped in about 2mins.. WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Way to go, indeed! All these QRM'ers want is attention; if they don't get it, they go elsewhere.

Let Big Dog's post be a lesson for us all: ignore the QRM, no matter how tempting it is to acknowledge it. (Sometimes that ain't easy!)

-

We were running a net one evening and this guy decided he was going to find out what it takes to become a ham...He proceded to break in on the net asking how to get a license.Within a couple of minutes we figured out that he was unlicensed and informed him of what could happen....needless to say he was bold enough to stay on the air (and stupid enough) ....We were lucky that there were a few on the repeaters(we have a linked system to a town some 60 miles away) that have tracking setups.

They tracked this guy and knocked on his door. Come to find out the young man that had bought a handheld 2 meter for a scanner.(i guess it had a very wide rx).... The young man informed the trackers that he had no idea that 2 meter was set up in such a way with repeaters,linked repeatersand so forth,and people able to track a tramsmitter.

He apologized profusly to those at his door and then proceded to write an email to those of us in area apologizing for his actions(the email was forwarded from the trackers to our local net controller then to those of us that requested the email).He then disabled the tones on the handheld so there was no way that he could transmit on 2 meter.

Instead of the young man being turned in to the fcc for his actions...since he did apologize for his actions and did agree not to transmit again.... The trackers decided to give this young man a break and help him to get his ham ticket...And I am glad to say that the majority of us in my area did agree not to turn him in and welcome him to ham radio upon him getting his ticket

But to do as you guys are describing above is not good,interfering with a ham tramsmission on purpose by a licensed ham or otherwise is a nono and can get the offender a fine from what I understand

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.