• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Interceptor 10k or Jo Gunn Son of a Gunn

Im up in the air and need some help from people with Knowledge of these 2 antennas.Im going to bite the bullet and get one or the other.Both comparable antennas in price.Have heard nothing but good things about the 10k and vertually nothing on the jo gunn.Any help would be appreciated.Im an 11 meter kind of guy and dont anticipate my future in radio to be any different for those that will have opinions on the future use of my antenna.Thanx.Also have a second tower going up in a while for a beam.Just set the foundation for my 60 footer(3 20' sections) yesterday and am going to use this one for my ground plane.Have a 40'er(2 section)Im going to use for my beam.

Go with the Interceptor and put the beam on the 60 foot tower and the Interceptor on the 40 foot. You will get better use out of your beam being higher than your ground plane.

Never used the JoGun

I can say

Interceptor I-10K works EXCELLENT
had mine a few years

it gets out
also lasts against the worst of elements

Just got my 60' tower up today for the trial run to make sure all was well with the measurements.Still have to finish the fabrication of the mount thats going to attatch to the house.Still have a couple of weeks probably till I get my antenna anyways.Ran it all the way up today and the top section all the way up is even with the tip of my v-5000,Without a pole in the top and I plan on using at least a 10'er.

ANNNNTICIPAAAAAATION!!!!!!!

Last edited:
shucks Maco V 5000 with a 2x4 Dave Made & 2517. thats already first class. please post results on if there is any real difference. sems like ur ready for a beam instead

i woulda went with the Merlin myself.......Probably woulda been cheaper
and performs just as good if not better than the I 10K and its smaller
SO far the Merlin is an urban legend. I've asked about them, offered to buy one to check it out, and my requests have gone unanswered.

It beginning to sound like a hoax. Even the pictures that were once on the internet have been removed. The Merlin is a Starduster antenna with a top load.

http://www.cbradiotalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=18763&view=previous&sid=ab91ae991c93e5b6c86c58d6e3fda66e

This antenna can not outperform an I-10K unless physics works different on your planet.

I-10K

Just built it today and tested it on the ground and had a 1.2 without messing around with it anymore.Ran into an issue with my tower.I had to take what I believe would be called the thrust bearing sleeve,what the mast sets in.There was allready a piece in there that I cant get out that was all rusted and it wasnt enough to strap my 10k up to safely.Ill take it to work with me on monday and see if the welder there can heat it up and bag it outta there.If not,I guess Ill have to find another one of those sleeves with the set screws.Or weld a
2 1/4" OD Piece of pipe in the slot so I can have something to slide my mast in.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.