• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is 6 meters more friendly than 10 meters ?

One of the guys I elmered finally got his tech couple of years ago, got his station set up and went on his merry way to having a blast in hamster land.

I get a call from him, he got "the card". Something about emission to wide, distorted audio etc etc. Gave freq, UTC time and type of transmission, R-S report, one of those lovely OO cards.

He asked me what to do with it?

I told him hang it on the wall as a QSL card, he is located in FL and the OO is located in PA.

Darn DOC WAS for OO cards, (Laughing hard here.):blink:

Prime example of what Doc is saying, Although not necessarily a "Pirate tactic".

I have been SWL on the rig on VFO "A", then I will switch to VFO "B", listen in on say 20 meters I will find a DX station I want to try to make a contact with , I key the Mic and next thing I know I am transmitting out of band on whatever freq I was listening to.

Classic reason why NOT to mod the radio for "MARS" use which we all know really means 11m. :D

I forgot that I was last working split before I went to SWL, so all "Pirates" are not necessarily unlicensed, sometimes just mistakes are made.

Now if they keep transmitting on those freq then they become pirates per say.

Google free band frequencies and a lot more will come up besides just 27 mhz.

Another thing is that some phone stations on 10m that go on for 15, 20, 25 minutes without ID'ing could in Canada like me. I don't have to ID for 30 minutes at a stretch and I have no legal sub-bands to wory about. I can yack on 28.005 on phone for 29 minutes before ID'ing and be legal. (y)

thanks for the replies so far . so it seems like the ham police wont be as bad on 10 meters as i assumed . my next question is about the popularity or amount of traffic on 12 meters ..... there's only 3 new exports that really interest me . the 257HP , 45HP and the 29XX/2950DX . FWIU propagation wise there won't be any difference since 10 - 11 and 12 meters are so close together in frequency . but IF there simply isn't many folks using 12 meters the 2950 is a little less appealing to me since that portion of its abilities wont be used much or at all .

going by comments on different forums i get the impression that there are hams that like to cruse 10 meters looking for none licensed users and enforcing rules/protocol and generally being a wannabe FCC policeman . i was wondering if another band might have a lot less of that and be more friendly/forgiving to new folks . i realize you can find assholes and angels everywhere ....... but if there's a place with less A'holes it seems a newbie (with their ticket) could enjoy their money and effort to put a rig together a bit more .

or are the comments about wannabe ham cops exaggerated on forums ?

Seriously?

Classic reason why NOT to mod the radio for "MARS" use which we all know really means 11m. :D

:

I agree about not performing the MARS mod, he was using one of the export radios, 10 meter that can cover so many freq.

Yep band freq allocations between different countires make it not so easy to remember what countires are allowed what freq for what modes.

About Id'ing? I hear it every day, long rag chews with no id's. Also Dx stations who are working pile ups seem to not ID often. I have sat and listened for as long as 20 minutes before the DX ops Id so I can try to make the contact.

Well it is unfortunate that their are a lot of old Elmers that are about as friendly as a Porcupine or opossum . they where arrogant bigots when they where 16 and never out grew it!Many of them think they are some how better then other's due to some special information they have acquired like having information in a given area makes them better people or of a higher class of people! Many Amateur I have meet had poor personality traits and where not what I would call nice people or even good men! I let this keep me from becoming an Amateur for a long time!I have two 4 year degree's and am working on a third and some of my best friends never set foot in a University in fact some of the smartest men I have known did not finish High School!These people that are old tired and miserable people who have realized they did nothing worth while with their lifes. They look to make as many people as they can unhappy! They look to use rules and regulations to help them do it!The spirit of the law does not matter everything is black and white so long as it serves them and their agenda! So pay these people as little mind as you can! Truth be told most people like this are terrible rule breakers because they think the law's only apply to lesser men and they are very selective about what they chose to follow. Often they will take the "law into their own hands" they become just as bad as the illegal CB'ers they hate so much. So if you ever got the FCC to raid their shack and check their gear you would find they are breaking as many rules as anyone else!

Having worked at a warranty center in an area with lots of ham's I have heard and seen a lot of stuff!

I am not a perfect person but I am not one to judge easily or quickly! I never hold anyone to a standard that I myself fail to meet! I am the first to usually point out my weakness and flaws!Not everyone is like this though.

So if you want to run around on 10m I would not let a bunch of sad sorry guys with one foot in the grave keep me from it! Should not be hard for you to follow the rules! If you break them do not tell anyone.

I like 6m for ragchews with the locals. I'd like to see more activity on 6, but most stick to 2 meters.

The only time I hear HAM police on 6 get flustered is when someone is perched on the call frequencies.

Last edited:
I like 6m for ragchews with the locals. I'd like to see more activity on 6, but most stick to 2 meters.

The only time I hear HAM police on 6 get flustered is when someone is perched on the call frequencies.
I enjoy 6 also. No probs ever there. I got my first OO card on 2 during a temperature inversion. I was working an op in Fla. from northern SC. :LOL::LOL:
I was on 10 really late one night and two really backwoods types were in a qso. An op broke in and he was camping on a island near Savanna, ga. with a group of boy scouts. One of the two says - "We gotta check you out. You might be a bootlegger". The camper says his call sign again and says check it out and get back to me - these scouts want to talk. The good ole boy comes back after about three mins and says -"Bill - you ain't gonna believe this!" Other redneck says "WOT?" 1st redneck says: "His call ain't on QRZ." "So's I go to FCC.GOV. His calls there. It says this call is issued to the US Government. All frequencies and all modes are authorized. For further info contact Director - Central Intelligence Agency, Quantico, Va." "Uhhh, Bill - I gotta go to bed now. I'm tired. '73 - XXXXX" :oops: And I laughed my butt off.

going by comments on different forums i get the impression that there are hams that like to cruse 10 meters looking for none licensed users and enforcing rules/protocol and generally being a wannabe FCC policeman . i was wondering if another band might have a lot less of that and be more friendly/forgiving to new folks . i realize you can find assholes and angels everywhere ....... but if there's a place with less A'holes it seems a newbie (with their ticket) could enjoy their money and effort to put a rig together a bit more .

or are the comments about wannabe ham cops exaggerated on forums ?

Well, if any licensed amateur talks to an unlicensed user, then *they themselves* are in violation of regulations, as a ham CANNOT talk to an unlicensed person.

It is indeed sad that a newcomer becomes "suspect". This can scare some folks away.

Amateur radio has an FCc mandate to be "Self-policing". This is a requirement.

Unfortunately, some folks do not use the proper tact and diplomacy, and will "nit pick", based on personal opinion, rather that the actual regulations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.