• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is a solid core rg8u coax or a stranded core better

Joseph23

Sep 29, 2022
I would like to know if a solid core works better than a stranded core for transmission on a cb radio anybody know ???.

Like others have said, performance wise is really no difference .

Solid core may have slightly better spec's like a bit more power handling and dB loss but even at 100ft lengths the difference is negligible.

The downside is the more you repeatedly you bend the solid core, it can and eventually break where stranded is far stronger in this area.

Solid is good for running up walls where you want something stiff and rigid to stay in place.

I use RG213 for all the long runs which is stranded and stiffer than RG8 stranded and almost like a solid core in stiffness. I even use it for a rotor cable and mobile antenna because it doesn't flop around in the wind.

For small jumpers I use RG8 stranded because I need more flexibility where RG213 at short lengths is too stiff.

There is another thread where @Dr_DX schooled me on this very subject. The rf travels on the surface of the conductor rather than through it. I had asked a question in regards to a certain coax being copper clad and he knowing much more than myself explained it well. I'll try to find the thread. It's a good learning.

Reactions: Joseph23
Here it be, maybe it can be of help in this thread.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
You will see slight differences between solid core and stranded core coax if you simply look at the various cables on the market, but then again, you are looking at two different cables. Conductor size, dielectric, and % of shielding all make up those slight differences. To put it another way, if two cables were identical other than one being solid core and the other stranded, you will not see ANY difference in performance. Also copper clad aluminum is just as good as solid copper. VERY high-end low-loss transmission lines often use copper clad aluminum to reduce cost and weight. If the big commercial guys use it, why can't a CBer?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated