• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

IS CB REALLY DYING OUT ???

Update: A couple of my locals who haven't been on the air in a while were heard last night celebrating New Years Eve on Channel 20. Other than that, the 11 Meter band was eerily quiet.

Most of the locals around Savannah and the outlying areas are older guys. I don't listen much, but when I tune to the local AM channel, there are 5-8 locals that talk from 8-9:30pm almost every night.

I have no desire to talk with them. They're probably good people overall, but most of their conversations don't appeal to me. Maybe it's the generation gap, but most come off as old timer, know-it-all, thinly veiled racists.

I'd rather make DX contacts on SSB and have nice conversations. I generally avoid the 38LSB mess and go slightly up the band for those contacts.

Overall, CB is not dead in this area, however it has been in steady decline for a long while as the older operators die off.

Not dead yet

The only thing going on local around here is the old timers that get on the radio at 4:00 a.m. In the morning. I've talked to them a few times on the way to work. It's the same guys on the same channel every day that were on air in the seventies and they are still using the same equipment. Pretty classy! I wish they were more of those gentlemen left on the air. the truck drivers will always keep the hobby alive regardless. A truck without a radio is like a train with no caboose. We lost the caboose sadly but I can't imagine a truck without cb radio...

Reactions: 2 people
The only thing going on local around here is the old timers that get on the radio at 4:00 a.m. In the morning. I've talked to them a few times on the way to work. It's the same guys on the same channel every day that were on air in the seventies and they are still using the same equipment. Pretty classy! I wish they were more of those gentlemen left on the air. the truck drivers will always keep the hobby alive regardless. A truck without a radio is like a train with no caboose. We lost the caboose sadly but I can't imagine a truck without cb radio...

Great story!

Reactions: 1 person
We just need to start making cheap walkie talkies for the CB band again. Many kids learned about CB back in the day just from playing with those.

We just need to start making cheap walkie talkies for the CB band again. Many kids learned about CB back in the day just from playing with those.

First you would have to take away the I phone, x box ,playstation, Wii Then do away with twitter and facebook and convince the kids that ht's are cool.
:bdh:

Up here in north-west Arizona it's hanging on. There are a number of base stations that keep the fire burning but it does ebb and flow. The good news is that with so few stations OTA it is possible to get really good range.

Since we are very close to I-40 and several large truck stops there is a fair amount of channel 19 traffic but not as much as might be expected. I've a theory on this: Observation has determined that a lot of drivers these days are from other countries and very likely do not have English as their first language. Indeed it is common to pass by a large truck stop and not hear a sound OTA. Kinda makes me wonder what they are all doing!

There is one area where CB will live though: Those that are heavily into doomsday prepping are stocking up on vintage CBs, especially tube units as they are considered to be EMP-proof.

Me, I'm just gonna keep on keeping on. As long as I draw breath there will be a loud, clean signal coming from my base.

'From Needles to Kingman. Bullhead City / Laughlin. Santa Claus. New Kingman / Butler. Walapai. Wikiup. And points east. It's the White Tack Base Golden Valley, Standing By...'

Up here in north-west Arizona it's hanging on. There are a number of base stations that keep the fire burning but it does ebb and flow. The good news is that with so few stations OTA it is possible to get really good range.

Since we are very close to I-40 and several large truck stops there is a fair amount of channel 19 traffic but not as much as might be expected. I've a theory on this: Observation has determined that a lot of drivers these days are from other countries and very likely do not have English as their first language. Indeed it is common to pass by a large truck stop and not hear a sound OTA. Kinda makes me wonder what they are all doing!

There is one area where CB will live though: Those that are heavily into doomsday prepping are stocking up on vintage CBs, especially tube units as they are considered to be EMP-proof.

Me, I'm just gonna keep on keeping on. As long as I draw breath there will be a loud, clean signal coming from my base.

'From Needles to Kingman. Bullhead City / Laughlin. Santa Claus. New Kingman / Butler. Walapai. Wikiup. And points east. It's the White Tack Base Golden Valley, Standing By...'
I'm still hearing quite a bit of activity in the Phoenix area, as well as in LA and San Diego whenever I pass through.

First you would have to take away the I phone, x box ,playstation, Wii Then do away with twitter and facebook and convince the kids that ht's are cool.
:bdh:
You definitely have a point. Many younger people now seem to be using the online CB radio sites, because they can easily talk to each other even if they are thousands of miles away! They don't even have to buy any equipment, because their tablet or cell phone acts exactly like a CB radio, and the app is free. If you want to see what I am referring to, you can just go to CB Radio Chat

maybe the whole Ed Snowden thing will reignite some interest in CB radio.

with the NSA listening in on everything from cell phone calls to World of Warcraft teamspeak (they are, check it out), i can only think of one place that no one will be listening in on; THE CB RADIO BAND!!!!
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.