• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

is it a crime....

My self personally, I don't mind the BEEP, But now correct me if I am wrong, I do believe the Ham Operators used a Roger Beep at the end of a transmission back in the '60's ?? But then again everything was much different and better back then when it comes to the Society we live in Today. JMO.

True.. hams still use beeps today, but they are part of repeater controllers not individual transceivers. They do come in handy on repeaters though.

My self personally, I don't mind the BEEP, But now correct me if I am wrong, I do believe the Ham Operators used a Roger Beep at the end of a transmission back in the '60's ?? But then again everything was much different and better back then when it comes to the Society we live in Today. JMO.

To my knowledge hams have never used roger beeps at all. Well maybe except for the latest crop of newbies that refuse to drop their 11m superbowl habits.

True.. hams still use beeps today, but they are part of repeater controllers not individual transceivers. They do come in handy on repeaters though.

Agreed. Those are called courtesy tones and are used to signify when the other operator has unkeyed while using a repeater since the repeater keeps transmitting for a certain amount of time even after the input signal drops. That beep is generated by the repeater controller and not by the operators own radio.

f you've ever wondered how annoying roger beeps can get, listen in when skip comes in from Mexico. Especially I believe channel 5. Every transmission sounded like a bunch of fast talking short sentences followed by "beeeeeeep". It got real old, really fast.

Yet they also offer radios with double roger beeps and multi tone roger beeps. I even saw an ad on eBay a few days ago for a "Road Runner" roger beep...which I would guess would go "meep meep". :whistle:

f you've ever wondered how annoying roger beeps can get, listen in when skip comes in from Mexico. Especially I believe channel 5. Every transmission sounded like a bunch of fast talking short sentences followed by "beeeeeeep". It got real old, really fast.

Yet they also offer radios with double roger beeps and multi tone roger beeps. I even saw an ad on eBay a few days ago for a "Road Runner" roger beep...which I would guess would go "meep meep". :whistle:

A local WELFARE operator has one of those Road Runner beeps, sounds like crud.

That is a crime, and a piece of sh!t operator too. There's a lot of that near where I live on channel 19. I totally agree with Klondike Mike, that doesn't belong on any frequency, or any mode. Trash.

(edit) This is my response to the video that Morse123 posted. I'm not a big fan of roger beeps, but as for the original poster, that beep on that 148GTL-DX can be switched. :)

~Cheers~

Last edited:
That is a crime, and a piece of sh!t operator too. There's a lot of that near where I live on channel 19. I totally agree with Klondike Mike, that doesn't belong on any frequency, or any mode. Trash.

(edit) This is my response to the video that Morse123 posted. I'm not a big fan of roger beeps, but as for the original poster, that beep on that 148GTL-DX can be switched. :)

~Cheers~

That video is nuts !
I have a key up birdie but no one complains.

Sent from my Droid X .602GB Root, Tapatalk.

Some dudes don't like that stuff on SSB or AM.

I myself, will spin the dial as soon as I hear that crap. It could be some real hot chick wanting to meet up... I'd still spin the dial.

Can't stand: beeps, farts, blips, echo and reverb.

Well, I don't use beeps, blips, echo and reverb. And God knows that I don't need help in the fart department either. I can do that well enough on my own without any help from a board you install in a radio.

Anyhow, it's all good Morse, just not my personal preference is all. If the dude in the video ever came around where I live and did that BS, I'd probably end up in jail. HAHA :LOL::LOL:

~Cheers~

~Cheers~

Looking @ parts express,mouser,digikey, and a few hobbyist sites trying to find the smallest toggle possible. I don't plan to sell the radio and I want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

3's

What I have done in the past is use one of the switches in the front of the radio. I don't have a pic of that particular radio near me at the moment, so I don't know what the switches do in the front, but if you're wanting the stock look, that's the way I'd go. I do that on my own personal equipment, as I'm not a big fan of holes being drilled and knobs/switches sticking out all over the place.

~Cheers~

I actually like a simple brief plane Jane roger beep on am and SSB in fact I think they should be required by law but only a simple beep. I hate all echo, all re-verbs, all noise toys of any kind except a simple roger beep!

In fact I wish the FCC would fine the heck out of anyone with a noise toy. I hate them that much. I could careless if Billy Bob Mountain Man has a 20,000 watts of power so long as he is clean not bleeding over on to other channels, not operating where he does not belong and is not tying up a channel or a band talking to other 20,000 watt stations. I absolutely hate cotton mouthed over modulated cb's, splatter box's, and anyone that swear or talks in a way that is not PG13 or lower rated. I would love to make these people actually eat their radio's one part at a time as punishment.......

Oh and I am not an amateur and I love two way radio communication I just like it to be kid friendly and I like the gear to be clean and not annoying with pointless garbage. I think we do not need more Jerry Springer action on the radio. I hate that I have to become an Amateur just to have some place to talk that is half way decent. If not for all the trash on CB I would not have to move to Amateur.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.